Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Metroid Metal F.A.Q. 

Post Metroid Metal F.A.Q.
UPDATED 6/04

I'm starting this FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS thread to help "learn" people about Metroid Metal, and eliminate the need to ask questions that have been asked many times before. This thread will remain public and unlocked, so feel free to ask more questions!! As I answer them, I'll add them to this post. Once again, thanks for listening everyone! :D

What are the next mixes you will be doing?? What's after Metroid Metal?

It's hard to brainstorm about a next project, when you're still in production with the first. At this point, I can't say what will be next. The most requested soundtrack is Zelda. Zelda's melodies seem almost too "happy" to fit in with my style of remixing, unlike Metroid with its unnerving and sci-fi attitude... but you never know. Zelda also holds another place in my heart, so I could see something like that happening.

Honestly? We'll just have to see... ;) But keep the suggestions coming!!

What are some of your influences or favorite bands?

Let me clarify something first. The kind of music you play and the kind of music you listen to are two totally different things! Any inspired musician will tell you the same. Some of my favorite bands include:

ALL TIME:
Self
Regurgitator
Hum
Failure (anything with Ken Andrews)
Meshuggah
Cave In
The Dead Milkmen
The Fixx
That Dog
Sunny Day Real Estate (REAL emo, you pop-punky bastards!)

RIGHT NOW:
Sikth
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Hella
Thingy
Medications
Between the Buried and Me

GUITAR INSPIRATIONS:
Steve Vai
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Reb Beach

What kind of equipment do you use, and how do you record?

I've always been an analog chauvanist, so I'm still using the same Analog 8-track I used 7-8 years ago. Analog, in my opinion, sounds very real and warm, and is the ONLY want to record guitar music.

EQUIPMENT LIST (Note: not all of this is use on each track):
- Carvin DC127 guitar
- Peavey bass
- Yamaha RY-10 Rhythm Programmer
- Digitech RP-10 Multi-effects Processor
- Peavey Delta Blues, all-tube, single 15" combo amp
- Tascam 488 Portastudio - Analog, cassette 8-track
- Shure SM57 mics
SOFTWARE: Soundforge

I record and mix all the music on my 8-track, mix down to my computer through the soundcard, and compress in Soundforge.

That's recording in a nutshell. :wink:

Any tips for those of us that are trying to record?

There are a few things I've learned that I can share, but practice is more important than anything else:

1. Live by the GIGO (G.I. Joe) Theary - Garbage In Garbage Out. It's not fancy gear that makes the recording, and it's not all the tweaking, pitch-correcting, and post that makes it either - it's GETTING A GOOD SOUND TO TAPE. The better your instruments sound going to tape, the less messing and complaining you'll have to deal with later. Don't tell yourself that you'll fix a mistake in "post". Fix it NOW. Fix it going to tape.

2. It's all about mics. If you want a guitar to sound real, and sound like it does coming out of your amplifier, mic your amplifier. Don't plug straight out of an output into your multitrack, or it will like like digital signal. 90% of a good guitar sound is acoustics.

Find the mic sweet spot. Throw on some headphones, let your guitar ring out, move the microphone around in front of the speaker, and notice all the wild tone changes. I found the ultimate mic placement for my amp, is at a 30 degree angle coming out of a New Balance running shoe... 8)

3. Buy a tuner. Nothing matters more.

4. Compression is your friend. Even if it's the little compressor on your effects box, it's all about getting your instruments to sound as flat as possible without actually sounding flat. And when I mean compression, I mean compression going to tape - beforehand. If you have a little multitrack like me, you won't be compressing everything separately when trying to mix down! G.I. Joe.

Thar's some basics... :D Good luck!!

What's all that stuff being said in the background during the Item Room remix?

It's yours truly reading the story of Metroid out of the original Metroid's instruction manual. It's very distorted, so the only thing you might make out is the beginning, "In the year 2000 of the history of the cosmos..." There's your answer. ;)

Where can I find out more?

I was lucky enough to score an interview with Gamecube Heaven about Metroid Metal. There's lots of stuff in the interview that you won't get here. Be sure to check it out, and support their site:
http://www.freewebs.com/gamecubeheaven/ ... erview.htm

Here's another with TVRealms:
http://games.tvrealm.com/article.php?id=152

Here's one more with Lime Mascara - an online zine:
http://www.limemascara.com/zine/article ... index.html

What are the messageboard post rankins?

All definitions taken from the Metroid instruction manual.

Skree - 0 posts
They stick to the ceiling and lie in wait for Samus. When he approaches, they spin downwards to attack him.

Rio - 50 posts
These are also pretty strong. They zoom down to attack Samus from the upper walls. The red ones are stronger than the yellow ones.

Zeela - 150 posts
These boneless animals creep along horizontal and vertical surfaces. They normally live underground. The blue ones are the strongest.

Side Hopper - 300 posts
These powerful enemies attack Samus while hopping. Be careful, the Side Hopper's strength is second only to the Mini-Boss. Destroy him with one missile blast.

Ripper II - 450 posts
These Rippers are more advanced than the Rippers who appear in the rocky zone. They can spit fire and fly at high speed. They look the same as the other Rippers but they fly a lot faster.

Multiviola - 600 posts
These simple-structure organisms are reflected off the walls and bounce around. They are pretty powerful but are difficult to attack with the normal beam as the walls reflect them and they are always moving. Use a Power Item to boost power first. One missile blast will then destroy them.

Dessgeega - 750 posts
They jump toward Samus to attack him and are the second strongest creature in the hideout after the Mini-Boss. It takes several blasts of the normal beam or one missile blast to destroy them.

Zeebetite - 900 posts
This energy source is vital for keeping Mother Brain alive. It is no more than a life-supporting system and therefore won't attack, but it must be destroyed and only missiles will do the job. One missile blast is not enough. Other weapons are harmless against it. You have to keep throwing missiles or it will simply come to life again.

Metroid - 1000 posts
This protoplasm in suspended animation was discovered on the planet SR388. It clings onto Samus' body and sucks his energy. It can't be destroyed directly with the normal beam. Freeze it with the ice beam, and then fire 5 missile blasts at it.

Miniboss - 1500 posts

Can I hear some of your other music?

I've been in many bands, but here are some pieces (some finished, some not) that I've done 100% solo, with short descriptions of each.

Ground Pink: My axe-grind child. This tune was written after years of singing, which I felt I was done with, so I put all my melodic ideas into a guitar piece. It was a chance to throw a million ideas together - transposed to fit into one tune. It's heavy, instrumental, and one of my favorites. It's the most like Metroid Metal.

Ligaments: This is a pop tune I completed with a friend of mine at the recording facilities at UNCA. I played all the instruments and sang, and is the only tune in this list to sport a real drum set. It was recorded and mixed by the amazing, Ian Cunningham. It's probably my best "song".

LUNA: A tune written for my girlfriend. It's another one of the few WITH vocals. Enjoy.

Thrifty: This one came after Ground Pink. Also totally instrumental, it is a larger experiment in time-signatures and poly's. Vocals don't belong here and won't ever be added.

Detriment: I recorded this one in 1999 on a 24 track analog reel. It sounds very warm compared to the following song (Detritus), which is sort of a sequel to Detriment. It's all instrumental, and is very Hum inspired.

Detritus: Like I said, the sequel to the song above. Instead of being recorded in analog, it's recorded on a digital 8-track ADAT, and "sounds" very digital to me. This is why I've always stayed analog. It has some cool parts I may steal and use for future songs. I again, apologize for the sterile drum machine sound of these last two songs.

I'll have more music to put up in the coming weeks. Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Stemage on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:12 pm
Profile WWW

I was just wondering if you've played the metroid prime game...(2 comes out soon, whoo!) Well, anyways...Met. Prime may not have very remixable music..I think :shock: but it is pretty good...I'm sure you might be able to do something...

Teh, how about some F-Zero tracks?
And trust me, one Zelda song that could be done...Zelda 3: Link to the past: Darkworld theme.

OK, now for my question...

Can we expect any original work (as in non-VG songs, coz yours is still original anyhow...)

I am not one of them

My site

Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Thanks for the FAQ. I certainly look forward to some possible Super Metroid tracks, and maybe even Metroid Prime in the future. Keep up the good work.

Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:56 pm

Yeh, definately do some F-Zero trax, they rock, as does Metroid Prime :D
Btw, can u enable this board for the users to upload their own avatar, instead of linking direct to a site?

Keep up the good work :D

Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:20 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

What percentage of a remix would you say is you on the hammer, and what percentage is post production on the computer?

I've been dying to know since I heard these songs!

Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:19 pm

Quote:
What percentage of a remix would you say is you on the hammer, and what percentage is post production on the computer?

hhmmm... well, just so you know, the only POST I do on these songs is a little compression and EQ on the final mix. They are MIXED DOWN to the computer from my cassette 8-track, so no fancy technology has been used other than overall mix tweaking.

Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Metroid Metal F.A.Q.
Stemage wrote:
I record and mix all the music on my 8-track, mix down to my computer through the soundcard, and compress in Soundforge.
Ever use Cool Edit Pro? Or should I now say Adobe Audition.

As a radio broadcast and production major, we were trained to use CEP for all recording and mixing needs. I honestly like it better than Sound Forge for one simple reason: ease of use. Plus, it includes a multitrack recording portion that lets you record and mix up to 128 tracks.

If you haven't seen it, I'd check it out. :)
http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:52 am

Yeah, I love Cool Edit Pro for its click/pop reducer and noise reduction. The noise reduction is revolutionary!! :shock: Best thing ever.

The Metroid mixes haven't come off with too much noise though, so I haven't bothered.

Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

And trust me, one Zelda song that could be done...Zelda 3: Link to the past: Darkworld theme.

That's probably my favorite Zelda song to date and yes it would be quite amazing as a Grant remix. :wink:

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:39 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

What's being said in the background in the Item Room mix? I can decipher a bit but not much. This has bugged me since I downloaded this song.

Thanks in advance, and keep on rockin!

"I think Metroid has huge potential to be a brilliant FPS. But...that's not Metroid. It doesn't embody Metroid..." Fran Mirabella, February 16, 2001, Just after Metroid Prime was announced to be in First Person

PROVEN WRONG: 18 NOVEMBER, 2002

Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:39 pm
Profile WWW

Why are you doing it in mp3? That's degrading the quality of the audio beyond question, and you seem to be all about quality of your music.

Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:05 pm

Because MP3 compression is the most-used audio codec on the Internet that has quality that can reproduce near-CD quality audio.

Unless you wanna download a 50mb WAV, I think sticking with the 192k/sec MP3's does justice.

By the way, what format are your raw WAVs in before you convert them to MP3?

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:36 am

Because MP3 compression is the most-used audio codec on the Internet that has quality that can reproduce near-CD quality audio.

The key word there is near-CD. And even CD isn't perfect reproduction of audio. All I'm saying is that there should be an option for a lossless codec like FLAC or shn, both of which are free, unlike MP3.

The new Brinstar song is four megabytes at 192 kbps. The average kbps on a FLAC file is anywhere from 800-900.
The length of the song is 50 seconds.
192kb/s * 50s = 9600 kbps / 8 = 1.2MB
850kb/s * 50s = 42500 kbps / 8 = 5.3MB

I think if I'm getting the "real thing," I wouldn't mind a 5 meg download. If you're so adamant about WAV, then it'll be maybe 10 megs. As far as I know, it's actually quicker to encode to FLAC than it is to encode to MP3, as well.

I'm not saying it should be entirely switched over, but the option should be there, regardless.

Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:07 pm
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

Personally I don't hear this signal loss you're adamant about. It sounds fine to me, considering it was originally recorded on a cassette tape mixer. Anyway, I don't think the majority of casual music listeners HAVE the capacity to play FLAC or Shin files. Me, I use iTunes, and that can only do MP3, WAV, and AAC. It can't even do Ogg Vorbis, and that's a moderately popular format. Personally, if I can't stick something in my master playlist or convert it to do so, what use is it? So I can open them ONE AT A TIME from my desktop and say "Yeah, this is way better than Mp3"? O_o I really don't think the quality gain would be worth it.

Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:14 pm
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

Post Re: FAQ Update 12/29
Stemage wrote:
All definitions taken from the Metroid instruction manual.

Skree - 0 posts
They stick to the ceiling and lie in wait for Samus. When he approaches, they spin downwards to attack him.

Haha. Oh yeah. The original manual called Samus "he". The damn American translation team missed that the Japanese manual used gender neutral pronouns when referring to Samus, so as not to give away the secret (that Samus was a woman... Metroid 1 players did not know this). Apparently this subtlety was lost on NOA, much as the R/L differential is lost on Konami's translation team (See: castlevania aria of sorrow). Way to go boys.

Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm

What to expect when fighting a real Metroid. (Do they have one of those manuals as well?)

Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:09 am

Post hehe
praise to the new balance.

and welcome, glad to be here.

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:03 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:59 pm

Samus was supposed to be a guy?

Samus wasn't SUPPOSED to be a guy. The manual just didn't want to lead anyone to believe that Samus was a femme. It would kill the surprise...

SURPRISE!!!!

They lied to us!!!! :oops:

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

Samus wasn't SUPPOSED to be a guy. The manual just didn't want to lead anyone to believe that Samus was a femme. It would kill the surprise...

SURPRISE!!!!

They lied to us!!!! :oops:

Wrong. The Japanese manual used gender neutral pronouns for this reason, but the American manual just presumed "He" because that's the convention. So, bad translation. :D

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:09 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

But do we have any gender neutral pronouns in English? As far as I can remember, we don't. So it's more like the limitiations of english. I guess they could have just not used pronouns, but thats not exactly what you would call eloquent.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:53 am
Profile WWW

Well, we do have "it" but I imagine that if you referred to Samus as "it" you'd be on the wrong end of a power bomb.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

I'm gonna go with my theory: That the american manual translators simply did not KNOW Samus was going to be a girl. The "he"s in the manual generated alot of confusion among gamers back in the late 80's/early 90's, and I recall my friend Brad didn't believe it was a girl when he got the "helmet off" ending, and had to be shown the bikini ending to believe it.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember hearing that the yellow box 1992 reissue of Metroid switched all the pronouns to "she". I don't think it was a secret anymore by that point.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:30 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I think if I'm getting the "real thing," I wouldn't mind a 5 meg download. If you're so adamant about WAV, then it'll be maybe 10 megs. As far as I know, it's actually quicker to encode to FLAC than it is to encode to MP3, as well.

Another thing to consider here is that Stemage may have only so much bandwidth to upload songs. If everyone downloaded songs 5x the size they are now, all his bandwidth may get used up too quickly and others might have to wait before they can download the songs. Of course, I'm only speculating, he may have plenty of bandwidth.

Perhaps Stemage could offer CD's for a small price when he has enough for a full length CD?

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:48 pm
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

Perhaps Stemage could offer CD's for a small price when he has enough for a full length CD?

Truly, he deserves this, but to secure the rights to cover songs by Nintendo would be more difficult than securing the rights to a Beatles song. Nintendo is ex-TREEEMELY protective of their work, and I can't imagine it would be easy to get ahold of NoJ and Hip Tanaka both. From a legal standpoint, it would be basically impossible for Grant to "sell" MM. Nintendo would probably ask for a 90% cut on the CDs. He might as well just leave it free. I know he is planning to give out CD artwork and layout so we can print our own jacket, label, and u-cards. That will be cool, for those of you who still use CDs (I :heart: my iPod :D ).

Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:50 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

True, I didn't consider that, although I should have. I know full well how protective Nintendo can be of their property. They could give George Lucas a run for their money. It could be that the composers hold the rights to the Metroid music, because game music was just not a big issue then and no one would have thought to try and make a proffit off it. But again, I'm sure NoJ and Hip Tanaka wouldn't be too open about such an idea either.

There is a 10% content rule for certain things, but I don't think copyrighted music is one of them. Dare I say it, Stemage has altered 10% of these songs. At least, he has had an original approach to them. Glad to hear about the CD artwork, that might be useful.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:21 pm

Whoa! You like Cave-In, Sunny Day Real Estate, AND Between the Buried and Me?! Grand choices, friend.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:06 pm

to secure the rights to cover songs by Nintendo would be more difficult than securing the rights to a Beatles song.

I'd say buying the rights to a Beatles song might become pretty easy since Michael Jackson might be a little strapped for cash soon.

So, yeah.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

How are the minibosses able to sell cd's?

Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:12 am
Metroid Metal Mascot
Metroid Metal Mascot

How are the minibosses able to sell cd's?

Someone smack me if I'm wrong, but I'll have to go with "On shaky legal ground." I can see three possibilities:

One, and least likely, that they've actually licensed permission for the songs. This would be nearly impossible considering how many companies we're talking about for the different games.

Two, perhaps they were able to exploit a legal loophole because those old Nintendo games did not have a "music, images, and software" copyright in the credits like new ones do. They are still in sue-able territory on that, though.

Or three, and most likely, they're unaware or don't care about the legal repercussions of this, and they haven't gotten in any trouble because Nintendo, konami, Capcom, et al are equally unaware or don't care about the Minibosses.

I'm guessing it's three. Grant, being a smart man, knows that one is too much work, two is too risky, and three is kind of stupid. Hence MM is freeware music.

Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next