Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Mass Effect 3 

Post Mass Effect 3
So, the next chapter in the Mass Effect trilogy comes out next week. There's been a slathering of promotional videos coming out in the past few weeks. Who's getting it? What platform? Are you going to start a new Shepard or carry over your Shepard from Mass Effect?

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Last edited by capt_carl on Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Post Re: Mass Effect 2
Hell yes I'm getting it. I'll be getting the 360 version and carrying over my old Shepard.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Anyone know specifically, how you can carry over your Shepard from the first game?

I'd love to do it, but the bad:
- For once in a game with face customization, the default (Shepard) is awesome... and I regret making my guy look different.
- My 2nd playthrough is fully Renegade, and I definitely don't want to be pure evil my first time through ME2.

But I'm thinking you can pick specific saves to go with? Hopefully. I hope they'll let you remake your Shepard as well... but that's all probably asking for too much. I wonder if this feature will really do anything major though, honestly.

All that aside, I'm already betting this'll be one of my favorites for the year. My gripe with the first game, like a lot of Bioware games, is that it just didn't have a lot of polish. Sluggish framerates at times, texture popups, getting stuck in places, etc... but watching any of those 100 videos makes ME2 look like it runs super smooth and fixes all those issues. So now I'm just wondering if they can somehow top the story of the first game, because damn it was epic! Hope the music is just as good too, sounds like they got one of the composers back though so that's good.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile WWW

I think it lets you select a specific save. For example on my Xbox I have two Shepards: One that was my first playthrough which I played as I wanted. My second was full-Renegade. On my PC I got to lvl50 as a "as I wanted" Vanguard.

This is what I could find, from the BioWare forums:

Chris Priestly wrote:
We know many fans of Mass Effect have been asking how their saved games would transfer between Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. We have put together details you need to know about transferring your saves between ME1 and ME2.

I am sure this will create some new questions. Please ask them in this thread and, post Xmas break, I will try to get them answered for you.

Save Game Import

* Upon starting a new game from the main menu, players can import a character save from Mass Effect 1

* The Player chooses which character to bring in. Bringing in more than one character is possible, this will create a second or additional profile(s), just like in Mass Effect 1.

* For Xbox 360 players need to be signed into your profile that you used to play through Mass Effect 1.

* On PC players will select the .MassEffectSave files to import.

* The profile and save data must be present on the hard drive and not an MU.

* There is a limit of 11 end-of-game saves that can be imported into ME2. This means that if the player was to complete ME1 12 times, regardless of the number of unique playthroughs used, the 12th save will not be available for import, but saves 1 through 11 will be available.

At this point we have revealed that the save game import system will carryover all your decisions and plot decisions from ME1 into ME2. Did you save the Council? Who survived Virmire? And how did you handle your most ardent fan? We don’t want to list everything out and spoil the surprises we have in store for you, but rest assured you will be pleased when you see just how much carries over into Mass Effect 2.

Up until now we have only discussed the plot impacts of this feature, however, there are also certain gameplay perks as well. If you finished ME1 as a high level character you will receive greater bonuses than those who finished at lower levels. Ex, if you finished ME1 as a level 35 character, you will receive a bonus, but if you finished ME1 as a level 50 character, your bonus will be larger. That being said these bonuses will not put new playthrough characters at a severe disadvantage. For example, some of these bonuses include a monetary boost at the start of the game, or additional research resources for use at the Normandy’s Tech Lab. Another perk is if you finished the game as a Paragon or Renegade, part of your alignment will carry over making it easier to access certain dialogue options.

Finally, some technical information regarding the feature as well. If players start a New Game + after beating the game they will be able to re-use the same character import file they did for their first playthrough. Yes New Game + is making a return to Mass Effect 2! Additionally as mentioned above, make sure you are playing on your Xbox 360 profile that you completed ME1 on and that the profile and save data is present on the Hard Drive and not a MU. If you want to do a quick check and make sure you are good to go, load up Mass Effect 1 and see if the New Game + option appears. That will let you know your save game is ready for Mass Effect 2.

We are definitely excited to share this brand new feature with everyone, and remember what you do in Mass Effect 2, will have consequences in Mass Effect 3!

http://meforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... &forum=144

The irony.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:42 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Very cool, nice to get some of that cleared up. Still hope you can maybe redo Shepard's looks though, lol.

Sounds like it'd be pretty interesting to play through the game with an old save and without one.

I'm glad they brought in new chicks though, screw Ashley. :lol:

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

Hey now, I saved Williams, and it was totally worth it cuz she banged me. I wish Liara would die though, GOD was she annoying.

EDIT: OH MY GOD LAUNCH TRAILER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Y8rDtXOvI

The irony.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 am
Spaceballs: The Rank
Spaceballs: The Rank

And Ashley was a racist xenophobe. They were both bad.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 am

So was Navigator Pressly, specifically turians. I would've paid to see Garrus f**k him up.

The irony.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Launch trailer... I came.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 am
Profile WWW

Looks like I'll be spending the weekend playing though Mass Effect on the PC, seeing as I don't have access to the 360 I originally beat it on.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 pm
Profile WWW

Steam pre-load started today.

The irony.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:22 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Went with Amazon's release date delivery for this one again. Two days!

I'm really far in ME again but, dunno if I can finish it tomorrow. Man, being evil is pretty nuts.

What are you guys going to play for your first playthrough? Good/bad? Class? Who will you bang? Haha, glad we've got new chicks this time around and don't have to bother with Ash or Liara.

I played a Soldier through ME, despite the Soldier looking a "little" more diverse in ME2 from the vids... I think I'll definitely try something else this time. I'm leaning towards Sentinel or Engineer for now.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am
Profile WWW

I was a Vanguard/Nemesis, and I intend on keeping Shepard as that class. The new powers Vanguard gets look insane, especially that Biotic Charge move. I played as if I were Shepard, and made all my choices based on my personality. I saved Wrex, sacrificed Alenko, saved the Council, made Anderson the Human Counselor, and banged Williams.

The irony.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:17 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I did all those things too. I guess I did... base him off what I'd do myself (seems obvious, heh), though I also kind of went in with a "What would Captain Mal do?" attitude, via Firefly. I've always played like that in Bioware games, I'm good in the end but not always the nicest guy around, sometimes I like extra money or whatever, etc.

Yeah that Biotic Charge looks ridiculous. Seems like it could be dangerous to use as well, though it good hands it's probably awesome. Tempting to check that class out too... they all look really good this time around.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:25 am
Profile WWW

Hey guys, this game is pretty good.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 am
Profile WWW

The reviews are starting to come in. Gametrailers.com gave it a 9.7. IGN gave it a 9.5. Current score on Metactitic is 97 for Xbox and 94 for PC.

The irony.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:02 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Kotaku and Joystiq love it.

I'm just glancing over them though, really this is one of those games I just know is going to be awesome for me personally. Should get it today!

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:26 am
Profile WWW

f**k the PC version needs to get props for being so well optimized. Mass Effect 1 runs like s**t on my computer but 2 runs like a dream at max settings. Not to mention the improved controls and menu system.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:39 am
Profile WWW

I'm anxiously awaiting when I go home to play it. I'm hoping it'll decrypt on its own while I'm at work.

EDIT: Apparently the digital deluxe edition doesn't decrypt until 5pm Eastern? Not cool.

The irony.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

You'll get over it. I had to buy mine on the European store so I can't even pre-load it yet. I'm not going to let Europe screw me out of my God given American right to play game on the day they come out there, so I resorted to some shadier means to obtain it.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 pm
Profile WWW

I don't get out of work until 4pm anyway, so it's all good. Hopefully it won't take a long time to decrypt. Apparently it's available now though, no more timers on the website.

The irony.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:21 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Omega boners. Everywhere.

After 5 hours straight I guess I'll call it a day. It's absolutely everything I wanted. The 360 version runs great, haven't run into any texture pop ups at all so far... and it just has a lot of polish compared to the first. Huge improvements visually, the Normady 2 is beautiful... the Citadel is awesome, and this place I've been out Omega looks like something straight out of Blade Runner. I loved the art in the first game but now they can show it off even more.

The opening is nuts. Talk about a way to get a sequel rolling.

Already drooling over Miranda, hehe. She's a bit thick headed but I already like her character more than the previous love interests.

I wonder if this game really is pretty long? Two discs and all, 5 hours in it still feels like I've barely even begun.

I randomly figured I'd play on Veteran (a new difficulty compared to the first I believe, in between Normal and Hardcore). I'm dying... but it's not super frustrating or anything so far, so I'll try and stick with it. For some reason despite being set on Sentinel or Engineer, I went with Vanguard. Dunno how I feel about the Charge ability (so far in Veteran), it's pretty dangerous and nearly a recipe for death right now, lol. Shock is cool though.

Imported my cleared game from ME1 and I think I've already witnessed some of the connections.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the boxart still sucks though. Damn is it ugly, not to mention Miranda looks about twice her age in it.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Xeogred wrote:
EDIT: Oh yeah, the boxart still sucks though. Damn is it ugly, not to mention Miranda looks about twice her age in it.

I know! She reminds me of a MILF on the cover. A doable MILF, but still, she shouldn't look that old. :)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:37 am

Annoyance number one:

I remapped a few buttons, example, Spacebar to open the Tactics menu. The default button was Left Shift, which I mapped for Storm/Use/Take cover, and it's default was Spacebar. The game doesn't update its help dialogs with the new key mappings. So I still see things like "Press W and Spacebar to vault over objects" when I'm thinking in my head "Um, I remapped that action to Left Shift." My biggest annoyance with it when when I went to investigate the Normandy SR1's crash site, and It said "Press F to place the monument." F was melee attack by default, but I remapped that to V. So I hit F and nothing happened.

/end rant

EDIT: Oh, and Navigator Pressly... :cry:

The irony.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:11 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Yeah, that part was really epic.

I bet those logs went along with your import character too, perhaps. The first two Pressly rambled on about aliens, but the last one had him praising the aliens and their help. Very touching.

I actually ran into an annoyance with button mapping myself, on the 360 version it doesn't seem like you can map Y to anything, it has to be your first/default power or whatever. Wish you could change it. You can take it off but can't seem to map it anywhere else. Also button mapping for your two characters is a little weird, seems like you have to zoom-aim and be exactly on an enemy, then push either left or right on the d-pad for them to use that power. A little annoying.

My first major complaint though, is probably the fact that you don't seem to get exp for killing enemies. Did you guys notice that? Kind of a bummer to me, but oh well.

Anyways, played a few more hours last night... got Archangel. Holy hell, you guys will love him.

He was a favorite of mine in the first game already.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:34 pm
Profile WWW

Yea I did too. I want that instant gratification. Granted you get exp at the end of each mission, but it's not the same.

The irony.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Yeah, dunno how I feel about the mission structure. I mean it's clearly not level based or anything like say, RE5, but yeah. If you guys got to the shutter part with Archangel yet... parts like those I probably would've stuck it out and killed everything I could, but since you don't get exp for killing things it's just like "Yeah I guess I'll close these doors as fast as possible and skip enemies". And it takes away that satisfaction in the end like you're saying.

Oh well though, everything else balances it out. And now that I've been thinking about it, did you ever get exp for killing enemies in Deus Ex? I don't think you did... guess it could maybe be compared to that kind of thing now.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

14 hours in two days. lol

I've encountered a handful of stuff carried over from the first game, it's amazing.

I got pretty far on Veteran, but knocked it down to Normal. Saw there's only an achievement for beating it on Insanity anyways. Normal feels way too easy now though, lol.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 am
Profile WWW

Yeah. Just BEET that the first one- Got all my Paragon points in order and I'm level 50. But I -really- don't feel like playing through Mass Effect's New Game+ immediately after beating it the first timeand having to perform all of my sidequests and make all the same story decisions in order to carry them into ME2. Is the bonus you get for having a level 60 character imported from ME1 really worth it?

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:23 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Eh, the bonus for just simply importing in general is more than enough, probably even overkill. I swear I had a level 50 character (romanced with Ashley), but somehow imported a level 47 character (with Liara, I just said whatev and stuck with it), and the bonuses were pretty insane. If you're rich, assuming you just sold a few things by the end of the game, you'll get a huge money bonus as well.

I say just get to ME2 immediately. The game of the year is quite possibly, already here!

20 hours in myself. Granted, this game so far feels a lot more character/relationship driven than say, story/plot. Not a lot is really going on behind all this stuff. But, it's the second game in the trilogy so it makes sense. I'm thinking this game may just be setting up a lot of stuff, characters, etc, for the next title.

So yeah, the slight change in direction doesn't bother me at all, not to mention this universe is so rich it's incredible.

I'm so glad I got an HDTV a few months ago as well, it makes this game feel huge. The graphics and art design is just incredible. From post apocalyptic worlds to Blade Runner or Coruscant like cities, it's just crazy how diverse it is. It's not just a step up from the first game, it's one of the best looking games this gen for sure.

Anyone get Miranda's second suit?
:-D :-D :-D

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:14 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next