Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Mass Effect 3 
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post Re: Mass Effect 3
I get the feeling that some people simply enjoy spending all their time feeling butthurt. I just... to say that the writing in Mass Effect 2 was anything less than stellar is patently wrong. And there are some simply transcendent moments of emotional gravity in Mass Effect 3 that the original never came anywhere close to achieving.

Mass Effect 3 is a great game.The combat isn't broken like the original; the narrative is grander in scope than the second; and the character arcs come full-circle to the (justly) maligned ending.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Ditto. Frankly I think the ending just flat out sucks now, but the 30 hours up to that were perfect and the multiplayer is amazing. It's not a ruined game at all to me. Oh well.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW

I'm still not passing judgement until I see more endings. But I think reporting EA/BioWare to the BBB/FTC is a bit on the extreme side. Reminds me of the episode of South Park where the boys tried to get their money back from Mel Gibson because they went to see The Passion of the Christ.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Did someone actually report BioWare to the goddamn Better Business Bureau? That's f**king insane.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Yea, as well as the FTC. I read it on several of the gaming blogs. Link

The irony.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Yeah, hilarious.

carl, all the endings are basically the same exact thing, there's only three minor different ones, despite people claiming Bioware said 16 or something.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am
Profile WWW

There are four found so far. One of the endings shows Shepard "alive" if you have over five thousand war resources. Then after that the only thing that changes is what happens to the reapers. for the control, and synthesize they just fly away, and for the destroy they all blow up and the people cheer. The color of the beams changes too. Also, if you pick destroy then like I said, you can see Shepard on earth and he/she takes a breath, but only if you have over five thousand in your resource pool.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:50 am
Profile WWW

I finally finished the game a couple of days ago so now I get to see what everyone's so up in arms about. For me, the entire Mass Effect series has been an incredible ride, and I think everyone involved deserves quite the pat on the back for pulling off something that (to my knowledge) no one in this industry has done before. To have this series of games that, by the end, no one person is playing the same game as their friend, is amazing to me. In my game, I was able to shape my Commander Shepard into a fair and honest leader that I would like to serve with. Others may choose for there Shepard to be ruthless and willing to do what ever it takes to eliminate the Reapers, no matter the cost. As I started my game of Mass Effect 3, Ashley Williams had been dead for about three years now. A fact that still haunted my Shepard as he wondered if he made the right choice to leave her behind. In my game I still had the support of the Rachni queen, Wrex was the leader of the Krogans, I had a long romantic relationship with Liara and so on and so forth. My Mass Effect 3 was filled to the brim with the consequences of my decisions of not only the first two games, but also of the decisions I was continuing to make in 3.

One of the moments that sticks in my mind was when you have to choose between the Geth and the Quarians. I guess I hadn't done enough up to that point to get the option to broker a peace between the two, so I had to choose. At first I choose to let Legion start uploading the Reaper data to the Geth because I figured that it would be best to have super intelligent Geth on my my side rather than dumb cannon fodder that the Reapers would just blow though. That, and I respected Legion as a friend and didn't think he'd betray that trust. Then, I realized that Legion intended for the Geh to destroy the Quarians with this new upgrade. Watching as Tali begged me not to let this happen really hit me hard. She had worked relentlessly to keep her people united in the hope that they would one day be able to set foot on their homeworld and here, at the cusp of achieving that goal, I was about to let them be destroyed by their own creations. Now, one could argue that they had it coming to them. That their initial mistreatment of the Geth lead to their own undoing, but I'm not one to punish someone for the mistakes of the father so to speak. I decided to stop Legion from uploading the code. He turned on me and Shepard was forced to kill him. The Geth were destroyed and the Quarians agreed to help end the Reaper invasion. I've since learned what would have happened if I'd allowed Legion to continue the upload and I'm honestly glad that I made the choices that I did. Had it gone the other way, I think I would have been emotionally wreaked. And that, my friends, is the sign of a good damn game.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

^ That moment scared the crap out of me on my first playthrough. This particular Shepard was romancing Tali, and I was literally on the edge of my seat, wondering if I would actually have to choose between the Geth and the Quarians after all. Luckily, my Reputation was high enough for me to negotiate a truce. I can't tell you how relieved I was.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 am

Truce? That was an alliance, The Geth helped my Quarians rebuild, that was actually the only scene that made me cry

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5496-The-Positive-Side-of-Mass-Effect-3s-Ending-Drama I love Jim, and he pretty much agrees with me in regards to the reaction to the endings.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm
Profile WWW

Ducky's post is why I love this series so much. I think I had something in my eye while reading it, as well as both after my first conversation with Javik and my last conversation with Garrus. (spoiler? I don't think so, but just in case)

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Joker and Garrus telling each other jokes on the bridge had me in stitches. You can't deny how snappy the writing was in this one.

The irony.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

junkBOYEE wrote:
Truce? That was an alliance, The Geth helped my Quarians rebuild, that was actually the only scene that made me cry

Same thing happened for me. I just used the wrong word, I guess.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 am

One thing that I can't help but wonder about why people are reacting to the ending this way is that it almost seems like they were expecting a sunshine-and-rainbows sort of ending. I happen to really like the illusion of freewill that the ending seems to provide right now. As in, no matter what you do, and whatever choices you had, you inevitably can't change your fate. The Reapers kept stating that from the get-go.

The irony.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 am

I think everyone should have known that, no matter what choices you made, you weren't going to be able to walk away from this clean. Shepard was the tip of the spear in the war against the Reapers. A force so powerful, that it took the might of the entire galaxy combined to even have a slight chance at defeating them. Did people just think that Shepard was just going to mosey on up, press a button and it would all be done. Sacrifices were going to have to be made. Other wise the writers would have cheapened everything you'd gone though to get to that point. I love the gloomy yet hopeful ending. It feels more real that way.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

^ This. Like I said earlier, I think it would've been a disservice to the magnitude of the conflict in the story if we could just win and remain unchanged.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Bioware is adding more endings, score one for people that feel entitled to an actual ending. Keep in mind that I haven't actually played ME3, but I am really enjoying ME2.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Ending spoilers:

Two videos that very much so prove the Indoctrination Theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyeFvnhiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

It looks like I was on the right track after all. The ending that we currently have supports this theory VERY well.

We never actually beat the game.

So, what I'm hoping for is that they don't change the ending, but rather add to it. And here's why:

I could see Shepard waking up back on Earth, BUT ONLY IF YOU CHOSE THE DESTROY ENDING. This is to show that Shepard fought and WON against Reaper Indoctrination. Shepard wakes up, finding that he almost got hit by Harbinger's red laser, and that he never actually went up the Conduit to the Citadel. This (hopefully) free DLC will essentially be a continuation of the ending, saying how the previous ending you got was Shepard losing his mind as he nearly died from Harbinger's red laser, and actually allow you to beat the game and get the closure that we need.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:27 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

It's just too good to be true man. I want that to be the ending so bad, but maybe it was just sloppy Bioware.

Excellent videos.

Either way you cut it, it isn't complete. They better not charge anything if they release any DLC to wrap everything up.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I didn't have any issues with the premise of the ending (I was expecting it really), but the length of the conclusion was "blink and you'll miss it". I felt cheated that after an investment of many MANY hours, all I got was a couple of brief cut scenes (which told me nothing), and an epic credit roll. Usually after such a game you'd expect some closure for the other characters you'd left behind or some such. It was almost like they had completed the main game, checked their budget, worked out the post beta keg party was lacking funds and subsequently cut the finale cash pool to fill the deficit. Not cool BioWare!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 pm
Profile ICQ

So I got to thinking about it, and I want to know, where are the Salarian reapers? I mean, are they not good enough to be indoctrinated? Me and my friend started talking about it, and we came to the conclusion that they were the first race to be indoctrinated, and this even supports the Shepard indoctrination theory, as he works with them the whole time, they could be manipulating things from the background, they were there on the citadel soon after the Asari, they knew. they did nothing to stop the reaper threat, and if you remember in mass effect one and two the most skeptic council member was always the Salarian, Telling you that the reapers were nothing but old stories, and false prophecy. He is also the one who let Kai Lang into the citadel, not Udina. Think about it, it all adds up.

Mind blown.

;D

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Mordin approves.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

This will be the last I post on the topic, but BioWare just announced the ME3: Extended Cut. It's been officially stated that there will be no extra story tacked on, just answers. I hope that it does answer a few questions, and I'm happy they are sticking with there guns and keeping the ending the same. Hopefully this does a good job to balance between what the fans wanted.

It's set to be released this summer.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

I want closure. BioWare better deliver.

I'm glad it's free!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:42 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Lots of free multiplayer DLC dropping next week too, can't wait.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile WWW

I just finished the game. Destroyed the Reapers, saw Shepard "wake up". Not 100% sure how I feel about the ending, but I don't think I'll be reporting BioWare to the cops or anything.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Am I the only one who digs the online?

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

Naw, I've been enjoying the crap out of it, but my T.V. has been eaten up by the lady, so not as much time has been spent playing online as there should be.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't touched it once yet.

The irony.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:10 am

The extended ending DLC drops on Tuesday. Also, I just now realized that to see this I'm going to have to replay that last battle on Earth (the last bit with multiple banshees and the Reaper laser) and am seriously considering how much I care about seeing this new ending.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next