Chips Of Gaming 

Post Chips Of Gaming
EPISODE 1 - Shadow the Hedgehog
EPISODE 2 - Final Fantasy IX
EPISODE 3 - ...coming soon? Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

---

In my dance pad thread, I announced that I'd be giving dance pad games a break and that I'd start up a new series, Chips Of Gaming, where I'd review video games and other things instead.

Months later, I have finally finished my first review: for Shadow The Hedgehog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MIh_ymlnA

All feedback is welcome. :) Thanks.

Last edited by Nario on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Post Re: Chips Of Gaming
Great job!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

I thought that it was good, and I am sure that with additional experience making these that your editing will get even better.

|Twitter|

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:21 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

"Theme Song By Nick Hagman"

Like a boss!

I agree with one of the comments, spruce up the video a bit more with gameplay segments and don't keep the camera strictly on you as much. Great stuff though dude! A good start I'd say, looking forward to more.

Also the first time I think I've ever seen Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog gameplay... yeah, I'll keep my distance.

Dude, do some epic reviews on the Xenosaga games someday. :cool:

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Oh wow, I actually didn't expect this to get a lot of responses! Thanks!

I'm listening very closely to all of the constructive criticism. What I've learned from feedback on here, YouTube, and The Shizz is that: needs more gameplay footage, needs less of me just talking to the camera, and I need to give more eye-contact to the camcorder more often (which I've been working on since yesterday, it feels weird staring into people's faces like everyone else is somehow comfortable with).

Xeogred wrote:
Dude, do some epic reviews on the Xenosaga games someday. :cool:

omg, why didn't I think of that? Hmm... HMM........... we'll see. :)

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I can see how the eye contact thing could be awkward on both fronts, haha. It did at times look like you were almost purely reading off some teleprompter below or something though. lol

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:23 am
Profile WWW

Xeogred wrote:
I can see how the eye contact thing could be awkward on both fronts, haha. It did at times look like you were almost purely reading off some teleprompter below or something though. lol

Totally unscripted, I promise.

...I plan on fixing that next time, WHILE looking at the camcorder. Sounds tough, but I'll pull it off.

Yeah, I've always been bad about giving eye contact. To me, it feels forced, and I have trouble listening and speaking to someone else if I stare at them in the face, which is what everyone else does, and I don't get it.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:26 am

Well actually you've got A LOT of stuff to fix. First at all, you need to get the stuff ready a bit before. It seems like you're mostly doing improvisation.
Most of the time, you just plain say "It sucks" without giving reason. You give no arguments.
You're also giving most of the time videogames extracts that do not show precisely the problem you're pointing out. Try to choose better ones.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Metalink wrote:
Most of the time, you just plain say "It sucks" without giving reason. You give no arguments.

Did you see the footage I gave? The game clearly looks bad and it doesn't even need to be said. However, I wanted to prove that the game sucked, and that's why I covered your quote below:

Metalink wrote:
You're also giving most of the time videogames extracts that do not show precisely the problem you're pointing out. Try to choose better ones.

When I talked about the homing attack failing, I showed footage of the homing attack failing.

When I talked about the good/bad mission requirements, I showed footage of where the game wants you to fulfill said mission requirements (the Hero Mission in said footage seriously expected you to kill all 50 bad guys in the level. That's ridiculous).

When I talked about Chaos Control skipping past areas you may have wanted to check out, I showed footage of Chaos Control skipping past areas you may have wanted to look at more thoroughly (but couldn't because you used Chaos Control and skipped it).

When I talked about the camera looking at wherever it wants, I showed footage of the camera changing its perspectives however it wanted.

When I talked about the camera not wanting to look at where you want it to, I showed footage of the right-stick turning the camera to the right, but the camera didn't want to keep looking in that direction.

When I talked about the camera not staying focused on Shadow, I showed footage of the camera not staying focused on Shadow.

As a bonus, I even showed footage of the Light Dash being attempted, but it obviously fails and Shadow falls straight into a pit and dies. The Light Dash doesn't even work as it should. That's terrible.

You... you don't like Shadow The Hedgehog, do you? :|

I promise I'll have more footage/screenshots next time, but I so did have relevant footage to back up my claims in my first review.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:31 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm gonna go against Metalink just a tad here and say for me personally when it comes to watching youtube channels like this or whatnot, actual arguments or really valid points are often the last thing I look for. Rather it's the character these kind of people play, or how well put together their videos are, their style... and things like that, that pulls me in most... I want to be entertained, not really informed, to an extent. That's not to say valid and good arguments will hurt video reviews and such, but yeah. Like look at AVGN, how often does he even play anything that looks good? So it goes without saying 99% of the time when you watch his stuff, you know that game is gonna be pure ass. But his videos are usually fun, decently written, and entertaining to watch.

But I guess it depends on what you want to do, have fun with this or take it a little more seriously legitimately reviewing games good or bad.

That and I kind of have no idea what I'm saying here. Just woke up from a long nap!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I like AVGN's character too. He just puts up with so many bad games!

Me, however, I'm just going to review whatever I feel like. At the end of the Shadow the Hedgehog review, I said that the next game I am going to review is Final Fantasy IX, which means that I'm not reviewing a bad game. Yes, I really like that game, and I'm not only reviewing games that make me pull my hairs out... although it is fun to talk about them. :)

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Can we make review requests? I vote for Keystone Cops for the Atari 2600. :laughy:

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 pm
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

SORRY XENOSAGA (ALL OF THEM) IS ALREADY AT THE TOP OF THE QUEUE!

Haha. But seriously, those games need some love.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

geminiwraith wrote:
Can we make review requests? I vote for Keystone Cops for the Atari 2600. :laughy:

You mean Keystone Kapers? It looks interesting... reminds me of Pitfall for the Atari 2600.

Thanks for feeling like you can request a review! I think it's great that you'd want to see me review something, and feel the need to request it!

Xeogred: Yes, I'll definitely have to do something about Xenosaga. I can't promise much, but I do promise that I'll review them all in some fashion or another.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:43 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Nario wrote:
You mean Keystone Kapers? It looks interesting... reminds me of Pitfall for the Atari 2600.

That's the one! I remember being frustrated by it when i was younger. It was difficult (for my age at least).

So many games to review, so little time. I envy you not. ;-) ;-)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:09 am
Profile ICQ

What I mean is that sometimes, you don't seem to be actually able to explain what you find good or bad in some points of the game. A bit like when you were talking about Sonic Heroes :
Quote:
But it was alright, you know I didn't hate it, huh at least not back then, my tastes have kind of changed since then.[...] You know Sonic Heroes, it was alright, I mean, how worse can it get ?

:/ I understand that it is not the subject of the video but it seems to me that you didn't actually know what to tell about it.

As for the Chaos Control stuff, it is not all wrong : you've got the checkpoints that allow you to warp to other checkpoints you've activated earlier in the level.(I know : it breaks the whole speed thing but anyway...) So, if there is any problem with the Chaos Control, it is not this one. (besides, you can also stop it anytime you want, if you fear you might go a little too far). The problems of it (because there are some) are that it makes the game all glichy and look awful, and it kills and destroy everything in its path (okay you mentioned it but no deep enough) so it might make you achieve unwillingly the objective you didn't want to. (as for reach directly the Chaos Emerald, killing the remaining bad/good guys...)

Besides, the other one is called "Chaos Blast" ;-) (but that's not very important.)

But the MAJOR problem of it all is that even if not activated, it makes the game RIDICULOUSLY easy ! When Shadow has one of his bars full, he is totally invulnerable and for a quite long period of time, and that happens quite too much in a level ! Chaos Control breaks all the fun of running through the level (I'm talking about Westopolis, the ONLY good level in that game !), Chaos Blast just destroys everything so easily (you've got up to 3 Chaos Blasts by bar !) and makes the bosses ridiculously easy.

You should have mentioned the boring level design, not at all in the continuation of a Sonic game (even if it's a 'Shadow' game ololz) : It's all flat, speed-breaking, the rare platform sequences, due to the awful gameplay, are often a pain-in-the-ass (though you can pass them using Chaos Control...) and they even make you wait !
The graphics are also awful for a GC game. The design of the enemies are just... well... even the robots from SA/SA2 were better !

And so on... You could have said so much more about this game. ;-)

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 am

Metalink wrote:
What I mean is that sometimes, you don't seem to be actually able to explain what you find good or bad in some points of the game. A bit like when you were talking about Sonic Heroes :
Quote:
But it was alright, you know I didn't hate it, huh at least not back then, my tastes have kind of changed since then.[...] You know Sonic Heroes, it was alright, I mean, how worse can it get ?

:/ I understand that it is not the subject of the video but it seems to me that you didn't actually know what to tell about it.

Sonic Heroes wasn't the focus in the review. It's a wonder that I even mentioned it and showed any footage of the game at all. In fact, if I were to ignore the Sonic History Lesson that I gave and just go straight to reviewing Shadow the Hedgehog, I wouldn't have even mentioned any of the other Sonic games. In fact, why should I have only covered why I didn't like Sonic Heroes that much? Shouldn't I have also explained why I also loved Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, Spinball, 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2? That would be fair, right? Nope, those weren't the point. I gave special treatment to Sonic Heroes because I wanted to show that Sonic was going downhill, and that he was eventually going to run head-on into Shadow the Hedgehog at the bottom of the hill.

Metalink wrote:
As for the Chaos Control stuff, it is not all wrong : you've got the checkpoints that allow you to warp to other checkpoints you've activated earlier in the level.(I know : it breaks the whole speed thing but anyway...) So, if there is any problem with the Chaos Control, it is not this one. (besides, you can also stop it anytime you want, if you fear you might go a little too far). The problems of it (because there are some) are that it makes the game all glichy and look awful, and it kills and destroy everything in its path (okay you mentioned it but no deep enough) so it might make you achieve unwillingly the objective you didn't want to. (as for reach directly the Chaos Emerald, killing the remaining bad/good guys...)

If you use Chaos Control, you can skip over checkpoints and you wouldn't know it. I do it all the time. When you find the next checkpoint and try to travel back one, you'll find that you actually skipped one and therefore will have to travel back two previous checkpoints ago. That could be a long time ago! That ticks me off so much, and it makes me never want to use my Chaos Control.

Metalink wrote:
Besides, the other one is called "Chaos Blast" ;-) (but that's not very important.)

I'm sorry I didn't mention this.

Metalink wrote:
Westopolis, the ONLY good level in that game

No, sorry, it is not a good level. Not only is it not exempt from all of the gameplay flaws I've mentioned (bad camera, homing attack doesn't work, you need to kill all 40+ enemies for both the good/bad side, Chaos Control skipping things/checkpoints, and bad vehicles), but it also has Shadow falling at the very beginning of the level. Surely, that would be good, right? No. You can't see the rings below Shadow. Why even try to collect them if Shadow's figure is blocking every single one of them??

Metalink wrote:
You should have mentioned the boring level design, not at all in the continuation of a Sonic game (even if it's a 'Shadow' game ololz) : It's all flat, speed-breaking, the rare platform sequences, due to the awful gameplay, are often a pain-in-the-ass (though you can pass them using Chaos Control...) and they even make you wait !

Metalink wrote:
The graphics are also awful for a GC game.

Metalink wrote:
The design of the enemies are just... well... even the robots from SA/SA2 were better !

Metalink wrote:
And so on... You could have said so much more about this game. ;-)

Are you kidding me? That's a lot to expect from one review! I only covered the biggest and most disappointing points (aside from the brief mention of the music being good--I'm surprised you haven't asked me to go into more detail there either), and the other things don't really need to be said. I mean, jeez, those are some pretty high and nitpicky expectations there. I'm only one guy, and it was my first review!

Quote:
Well actually you've got A LOT of stuff to fix.

Look in a mirror. Those demands are unnecessary.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 am

TROLLOLOL

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:15 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I'm sorry for doing a constructive (yet demanding) critic, Trampoline... :rolleyes:

Quote:
but it also has Shadow falling at the very beginning of the level. Surely, that would be good, right? No. You can't see the rings below Shadow. Why even try to collect them if Shadow's figure is blocking every single one of them??

And after that, I'm the one going too much into details...

As for the music, it actually depends on the tastes, so, as long as it is no irritating techno beats all the time or unfitting music, I don't see why I should complain. ;-)

Quote:
Are you kidding me? That's a lot to expect from one review!

Actually, this is what I would have done. :)

Quote:
No, sorry, it is not a good level. Not only is it not exempt from all of the gameplay flaws I've mentioned

It is, in my opinion, because it's the only level that :
1) is not a time-wasting labyrinth.
2) makes you feel that you're in total war "alien VS humans" and makes your choice of side more "interesting". (well... kinda)
3) doesn't have alleys fully covered by acid.

Quote:
If you use Chaos Control, you can skip over checkpoints and you wouldn't know it. I do it all the time. When you find the next checkpoint and try to travel back one, you'll find that you actually skipped one and therefore will have to travel back two previous checkpoints ago. That could be a long time ago! That ticks me off so much, and it makes me never want to use my Chaos Control.

Yeah, I understand this. But usually, you find some checkpoints before you even use a Chaos Control. If you see that you missed your goal, you can still use the nearest checkpoint and go back at the very beginning of the level. It is the best thing to do if you've actually missed something. ;-)

I know it is your first review, I'm not silly. What I'm telling to you is that there are probably people, like me and unlike Xeogred, who like videos with valid points or actual arguments. You've said quite a lot of them, you're right. But then again, you could have totally ruined the game, as it deserves it, instead of partially wrecking it (at least, that's what I think when I watch your review. ^^)

No offense, just telling ya. And if there are things I didn't understand in your review, I apologize for being a person whose mother tongue is not English. :think:

EDIT : The AVGN exposes very well the problems of each game. :)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 am

Metalink wrote:
But usually, you find some checkpoints before you even use a Chaos Control. If you see that you missed your goal, you can still use the nearest checkpoint and go back at the very beginning of the level. It is the best thing to do if you've actually missed something. ;-)

And as I said in the review, the goals are frickin' annoying to complete. Why would I want to teleport all the way to the beginning of the level just to play it all over again? Kill ALL of the good/bad guys!? That's asking a lot! You make it sound like fun.

Metalink wrote:
The AVGN exposes very well the problems of each game. :)

I may not be AVGN, but I can tell you that I exposed the problems of the game. I've given plenty of "valid points and actual arguments". I seriously can't think of anything worse to say about it.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Trampoline Sasquatch wrote:
TROLLOLOL

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I didn't mean for this to take eight months, but

I FINALLY reviewed Final Fantasy IX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVcZ9nU9ccg

Please let me know what you all think of it!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:21 pm