Skyward Sword 

Post Re: Skyward Sword
Late to this party but loving it. I have not played a Wii game since NMH2 to this was a big switch.

I was pretty frustrated part way through the prologue. Now that I'm fully in the first dungeon I'm digging it a lot.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Okay, I got the wiimote bundle for christmas last year. I only got around to playing it about 2 months ago. I made it to the desert area, shortly after the 2nd temple, and here are my thoughts.

1) I don't like the motion controls: I felt like I was fighting the control more than the enemies, ESPECIALLY bomb-bowling. I kept having to think about where my hand was as opposed to being fully immersed in the game with standard buttons.

2) The stamina meter: Just, no.

3) Shield taking damage: At first, I thought it would add more strategy to the game, but after a while, it just felt like a handicap.

4) Art style was awesome: I liked the mix between WW and TP graphcis. Win in that department.

5) Bosses (so far) were well designed: I had problems on the second boss due to the game misreading my movements, leading to some curses being yelled at the television, but I got through it.

6) Skyloft "hub": The cloud cover "opening up" made the game feel rather linear. Maybe this changes down the road, but it felt like Zelda Fusion for a while there.

I haven't played the game since. It's been about a month or so. I think, after some reflection, it's mostly the motion controls keeping me away. I feel that I gave it a good chance, but this is the first console Zelda that is probably going to go unfinished.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 pm

I loved it. :)

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

Did you have any issues with the controls? That is my main obstacle as far as completing the game.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm

The controls take some getting used to. The controls absolutely shined for me with certain weapons like the bow and the whip. Other times (like rolling bombs) it was more of a pain in the butt. I went back and forth about the stamina meter. I think it would have been better if you could permanently upgrade your stamina bar. Towards the end of the game it's BS to only be able to sprint a few seconds.

I did not care for the the flying around "hub" world. It felt like a colossal waste of time at certain points.

But the game is amazing and had some of the most memorable boss fights of any Zelda game. The dungeons were almost all excellent, and it has an amazing art style. I didn't mind revisiting parts of the game for certain collect-em-all quests, since they managed to add enough variety to keep it interesting.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile WWW

Well, maybe I'll give it another shot after I'm finished my 3rd play-through of Corruption... I think I might have to start over with SS anyway, as I completely forgot where I was or what I was doing.

It's good to know I'm not alone on the bomb-bowling aspect. The boss involving that mechanic was extremely frustrating.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Bomb bowling is the WORST. It's better when you realize you don't have to point the controller down. You can just flick with it in place... sorta.

I didn't have problems with the controls. They take getting used to, and by the end you are a badass with them. I'd play another Zelda like that. Some people seem to have more issues than others. And yeah flying around was mleh. You should be able to upgrade your bird with all kinds of gadgetry. Could be great end game stuff. You end up with so much money at the end of the game with nothing to spend it on.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

I was okay with the bomb-rolling. The enemies with the electric batons, however, gave me a lot of troubles--they seem to switch where they hold the batons quite often, so you think you're going to attack they're open spot BUT NOPE. That's how they get ya.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

The game definitely had its frustrating moments off and on, thanks to the controls.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW