Xbox One 

Post Xbox One
Here it is!

It think yesterday's reveal was... not great. But they say the games are coming at E3 in a couple weeks, so I'll reserve judgement until then. The hardware looks nice though. I like the name too.

Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Xbox One
I applaud your comment on reserving judgement. People were so mad yesterday! I think they left a lot of things unsaid because they're still figuring out the details themselves. I thought it looked awesome honesty. The constant need to connect to the net and the used game thing has me worried, but that instant switching is SO FAST, and COD looked gorgeous. I care little about COD, but it will be a monster box. And no one is talking about how killing the new connect is. YOu don't even NEED a light source. I doubt I'll use it, but if it's as efficient as they say, I'm into it.

Sometimes I wonder what people want from the new consoles, or if they even know what they want. People harped about lack of games. There will ALWAYS be games. They mentioned 12 first party games over the first year. That's a TON. A first party game every month in '14? I doubt they'll make that number, but pretty cool.

But yeah, used games and the online thing... definitely worried.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Spaceballs: The Rank
Spaceballs: The Rank

The new Kinect looks cool, I like the heartbeat sensor. That could potentially be used well (it won't). As a person with a decent computer for games, I really couldn't care less about anything they announced. Maybe there will be strong announcements at E3, but eh. I barely used my 360 aside from Red Dead Redemption - almost every good game went to PC.

Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Stemage wrote:
But yeah, used games and the online thing... definitely worried.

Yeah, I was really mad about it on Day One... but as time went on, it's become apparent that either Microsoft is gauging the reactions of the people to reveal more plans or to change minds, that they are waiting to reveal the full system, or that they simply just don't know and are still figuring it out themselves (I doubt this one the most).

And so, I will reserve further judgment until after E3. But still, Microsoft screwed up for revealing only partial information while revealing the info that would harm their reputation the most. Seriously, it was negative revelation after negative revelation, with no attempt at gaining back that trust.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:07 am

Given the current state of the built in kinect and the way trading games has been handled, I think I'm going to have to reserve my judgement for 5 years or however long it takes for the haxxors to crack the system.

Edit: The fact that they are even testing the waters with these incredibly offensive offerings I think that's enough evidence, for me, that their intentions are to limit my rights as a consumer. So I think I'm not going to be supporting Microsoft in the next gen of console gaming.

Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Divinebeing wrote:
that their intentions are to limit my rights as a consumer.

I don't think it's to limit your rights, I just think they are doing a horrid job of calling it what it is. It's a digital platform. It's on the same level as Origin or Steam, the big flaw in their marketing though is that it's not really digital when you are selling hard copies. I see it, you see it, and the rest of the world sees it. Microsoft does not see it that way. They look at how Steam does it. No such thing as used games on Steam. If you want to share your library with your friends you have to let them borrow your account rather then your game. It's a flawed system, intended for computers, being used for consols. I'm interested to see how the consumers deal with this.

Sun May 26, 2013 1:06 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I think it's largely just Microsoft being Microsoft. They like to tell us what we want.

I won't be considering it until I see all the cards on the table.

Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 am
Profile ICQ

They seem to be backpedaling a bit on the used and online thing. I am not a fan of even having to think about that. It would be one thing if the big console companies had Steam style sales with the same frequency Steam does, but they don't. They do sometimes get close, but not nearly as often.

Personally, none of these next gen systems interest me. Little has been said of the actual games we can expect but so far I am not wowed by anyone's offering. I'll probably get a Wii U because there will surely be a great Zelda game and we're due for Metroid, and there are a few others (Bayonetta 2). I'm still waiting for an official price drop which seems to be on the way soon.

As far as Sony and MS go, I just don't know. I'm kinda meh on both.

Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm actually fairly interested in both companies offerings for the next gen. I think people are just getting way too upset about super early details on console we haven't even seen really running. Does no one remember what the PS3 and 360 launches were like? Does no one remember what those systems were like when they first came out? We were giving Sony s**t about five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars, historically accurate battles with giant enemy crabs and hitting weak points for massive damage. Microsoft was trying to wow us with Elijah Wood and socially connected experiences with Vilocitygirl that no one was really asking for. Why the hell would I want to get achievements in games and why is Sony trying to rip off Nintendo with the SIXAXIS? These things are always cluster f**ks. The PS2 didn't give us Toy Story quality graphics and Blast Processing wasn't really all that. Five years after the fact though we're all talking about the awesome games that came out on every system.

As for Microsoft taking away your rights as a consumer; nah. Right now we're standing at the threshold of consoles going all digital. Microsoft knows it, Sony knows it, Nintendo is just going to keep on being Nintendo. They know we aren't completely ready to go all digital. The infrastructure just isn't there. We don't have the bandwidth to make it as convenient as consumers demand and a lot of people really just don't have access to high speed internet yet. But for the generation after this? I'd be very surprised if it even has a disc drive. Point being, both Microsoft and Sony would love to get us acclimated to buying our games digitally. That way when the next-next-gen comes out in the next seven to eight years it's like a no brianer. "Of course it doesn't have a disc drive," we'll all say "I buy all my games digitally, anyway". There will most defiantly be some hiccups while we all figure out what's the best way go forward into this change, but it's a change that will happen.

And now for used games; why are we all fighting to let Gamestop continue to rip all of us off? Why are we fighting to let Gamestop continue to bully this industry that we love around? You want to know why Microsoft and Sony's online services aren't on par with Steam? Gamestop. They tell the publishers that if they don't sell the digital copy at the same price as the physical copy, they won't carry that publisher's games. To not have Gamestop carry your game is pretty much just asking for it to fail in the marketplace. Steam gets away with all this because Gamestop long stopped caring about the PC game market. Used games are where all of there profit comes from and it's where they can be hit the hardest. It's absolute bulls**t and I'll be happy to watch that business model crumble to the ground as we all walk into the digital future. If Gamestop's power dies, you could see the big sales you're asking for on consoles. You could see the digital version of a game come out weeks before the physical. This has all the possibility to empower the consumer, not restrict them. Also, I guarantee you that whatever Microsoft's plans for used games are Sony's doing the exact same thing. People seem to forget that they've said just as little about the PS4 as Microsoft has about the Xbox One. At least we know what the Xbox looks like.

What I'm ultimately saying is that by the time we get as far into the next-gen as we are into this one, all this s**t won't even matter.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:08 pm
Profile WWW

Microsoft has finally laid out more details on internet connectivity, licensing (used games, etc) and privacy. All three articles are worth reading.

They also posted new info on the controller, including promising stuff about syncing and power.

Last edited by hobo on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

Cool, they didn't change anything.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Quote:
We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

I can see pubs like Activision/EA doing some weird s**t with their AAA titles.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Do they charge for the transfer? No. Do they charge for the infrastructure at a retail store? I don't own one so I don't know.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Unless something changes, this is awful news :( I always give these companies the benefit of the doubt, but I seriously may just avoid this thing entirely. The PS4 is sounding way more enticing... sort of. I mean PC.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am
Profile WWW

Try telling that to z0mbi. You should see the debate we had on FB this morning. He's totally in favor of it.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile YIM

In favor of what?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm

The way MS is handling everything.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:42 pm
Profile YIM

I found this thing where, supposedly, one of the XB1 Engineers started posting on 4Chan's /b/. If I'm to believe that then I guess this guy is thinking exactly what I was thinking. Still probably not going to get one, but hey, it's info I guess.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:46 am
Profile WWW

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1543 ... -all-fake/

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:28 am

He missed Typhoon which is in the Microsoft commons and has double punch Wednesdays.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-street-vendor-by-typhoon-redmond#query:Microsoft%20Commons

For someone who is telling us to check facts he sure is lazy.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

One of the things I was curious about was whether you could plug another console into the HDMI In on Xbox One (for example a 360 for backwards compatibility purposes, or a PS3/PS4/Wii U) and according to this video it sounds like yes (Major Nelson confirms 360 specifically but it sounds like you can plug just about anything in there).

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 am
Profile WWW

Just in case you missed it, Microsoft have just done a complete u-turn on their policies. No internet check-ins required (one is need for setup, but never again after), discs and digital both work the same as on 360 - they work offline and can be sold, and there's no more region-locking. The bad news is that we've lost the Family Sharing feature, and discs have to be in the drive to play.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:36 pm
Profile WWW

To share games with your family, please leave the disc in the tray.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:38 pm
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

Engadget's summary of the bone's DRM just floopled my brinniwobs.

Okay, so right now, nothing about the physical and digital licenses make any kind of sense to me. Can someone explain these conversions and restrictions and how any of it could be at all advantageous for consumers to invest in? Truly don't understand the new rules (not saying I do understand and am in a state of disbelief, more like I really couldn't explain it back to someone if my life depended on doing so).

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 am
Profile WWW

What he's trying to say in that article is this: Every disc installs fully to the hard drive (while you play). So if you were to, say, play/install Forza 5 to the drive from a disc (like one you had borrowed or rented), if you later bought the digital version then it would just unlock the disc requirement on that installation. The digital and disc versions of games are one and the same, essentially.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

That helps, thanks. But what about the no external hdd thing? If they're paving the road to all-digital here, isn't limited space for games and saves kind of bad? And any news on what happens when the console needs to be replaced?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile WWW

External HDD support is coming, but after launch. As far as replacing consoles goes, all save data is stored on Xbox Live, even your home screen layout and pinned content. Your stuff can be accessed from any console you log into.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:07 pm
Profile WWW