Online buying vs battle 

Post Online buying vs battle
A question.

After being hesitant for a long time, I have plunged into the online purchasing arena this year and will probably buy a bunch more games this way as time goes on. Thus far I have signed up to Steam and GOG. Both seem quite simple to use and I have not experienced any problems so far. Just wondering how folks here felt about purchasing a game that is available via either service. Would you always go one over the other, or do you go on a game by game basis? What's the pros and cons from your experience? Any other avenues out there?

More like a solicitation of opinion, then.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 am

Post Re: Online buying vs battle
Steam's pretty much ubiquitous at this point - almost everything is available there, and it's often on sale throughout the year. It's got built-in automatic updating, cloud sync, a cool controller-enabled TV mode, and some neat community features. It also supports Linux, if that's your thing, whereas GOG.com is Windows and Mac only.

On the other hand, GOG.com is totally DRM-free. The newer game selection is more limited but there's a much bigger catalog of classic games (most of which aren't on Steam), updated to work with modern systems, and they also have a 30-day refund policy now if it doesn't work. They also give you a bunch of bonuses when available (like reference cards and manuals for the old games that had them). The trade-off is there's no auto-updating, cloud sync, achievements or community features.

Personally, I use Steam for almost everything, and GOG.com for classic games like point-and-click adventures.

Also, if you're buying indie games, it's my understanding that buying via the Humble Store is the best way to support developers. Most games there give you a Steam key with your purchase too.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for your views on the topic.

I think I would prefer if everything was available using the GoG format as I don't like relying on the internet for games to work every time they load up. I'll probably go the GoG route if there is a choice, which in my case is often at the moment as there are a truckload of games I never played on PC back in the day e.g. Theif. However, I have been impressed with the Steam service thus far. So many games! I put things I am interested in on my wishlist and wait for them to go on sale to avoid buying too much at once ;-)

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:53 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

There's also now The Humble Store which offers DRM-free, multi-platform, Desura, AND Steam keys and have great deals every now and then as well. Fairly new but worth a look. I use all three (Steam, GoG, and Humble Store). Steam obviously is the biggest of the three, has the most content, but requires the Steam client for most games. GoG has branched out into more than just "Good Old Games" and has many games that Steam has but DRM free. It also usually has a lot of extras with most games like soundtracks, artwork, wallpaper, etc. The Humble Store doesn't come with extras, but can come with Steam/Desura keys if they are available, as well as DRM free versions most of the time. Only a few exceptions so far, but I think those have only been during Humble Bundle sales. GoG doesn't offer Steam keys, obviously, but it's nice to have it from another source as well as DRM free with Humble.

EDIT: Just read all of hobo's post. Sorry for repeating what's been said!

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:03 pm