FFXIII-2 
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post FFXIII-2
So i'm only just starting, but the combat is already engaging and the paradigms open up almost immediately. Some of the music is fairly funky too (although repeats far too often).

Ohemgee....GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!!! :laughy:

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 am
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post Re: FFXIII-2
Day 2.

Snow is still a dick.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:35 am
Profile ICQ

Thought I'd throw this in last night and give it a try and ended up playing for four hours straight. So far they've improved upon almost everything I didn't like about the first one. Even things I didn't even know needed fixing have been fixed. Making Paradigm switching instantaneous has really changed up the way some fights can play out. The fact that the game doesn't end when the party leader dies is a huge improvement. This is definitely what XIII should have been.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm 20 hours in and still enjoying it. I'm finding the story a bit weak and the combat has become easier the further in I get though. A party starting as Relentless Assault usually smashes through the trash with no problem.

There's quite a bit of exploration in this one. I still have a lot of areas to unlock.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am
Profile ICQ

It's not the greatest story I've ever heard, but it's lightyears ahead of what XIII's was. Even at this early point in the game, I understand what's at stake and basically just why I'm doing what I'm doing.

And as Penny-Arcade pointed out, putting hat's on your monsters is a game changer.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:07 am
Profile WWW

did you put that hat on that cat

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am
Profile WWW

I DID.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW

oh

my

g

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Screw the cat, it looks better on my chocobo ;-)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 pm
Profile ICQ

Putting hats on chocobos? Holy s**t where's my wallet?!

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:20 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

gigaflare can go kiss a rectum :wah:

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:23 am
Profile ICQ

Tested it in a store.
Dunno... the combat system seems pretty weird, they mixed 'real time' and 'turn based' elements, which is quite annoying, since you don't have much control and you have to be very quick choosing your options.
Besides, a turn based RPG with heal items and with characters replenishing their health each time a fight ends is pretty stupid IMO.

Yet, the music sounded great, as usual, and the voice-acting was solid.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:35 am

Metalink wrote:
Dunno... the combat system seems pretty weird, they mixed 'real time' and 'turn based' elements, which is quite annoying, since you don't have much control and you have to be very quick choosing your options.
Besides, a turn based RPG with heal items and with characters replenishing their health each time a fight ends is pretty stupid IMO.

lol to the extreme.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 am

I might sound extreme but that's how I felt the game...

Maybe I should have tested during moar time but, where Xenoblade instantly attracted me to release me 200+ hours later, this one gave me a "so-so" feeling during the whole time I played it.

Besides, there was no-one pressing me to end my playing so he/she could play, where Soul Calibur V has a big public everytime I go there.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

1. It's pretty obvious you haven't played the first game yet, otherwise you'd be quite familiar with the battle system. Why does this matter? Well, it's just weird to pick up sequels without having seen/played the first; it's been said elsewhere that it's like watching The Empire Strikes Back without having seen A New Hope.

2. This is just an opinion, but I LOVED the battle system of FFXIII. It requires a lot of strategy, and I like how it made me think without being annoying. Yes, it's different (that's probably why you thought it was "weird"), but it's good and it makes you think.

3. You actually have quite a bit of control in the battles. Just because the characters have animations during times of idleness doesn't mean you aren't controlling them. You can Attack. You can use Techs. You can use Items. You can switch Paradigms and be able to cast magic, buffs, debuffs, etc. How is that a lack of control? No, I don't expect you to answer that, because the answer is "it isn't".

4. Yes, being very quick can be a good thing (that's what she said). It keeps you on your toes.

5. Just because you get healed after every battle doesn't make it bad. Yeah, sure, it's different, but that doesn't diminish the item usage of the game. If your healer can't heal you in time, then use a Potion. Simple. It's been like this since FF1.

6. The "whole time" you played the game at the store was just a sample. Did it start you off at Ch. 1, or 2? I ask this because Ch. 1 is a tutorial chapter, and your poor impressions of the game may be based on the game simply warming you up to the gameplay of the game. However, Ch. 2 is where the gameplay really starts to kick in, and has monster recruiting and the game is just more fun to play then.

Most of this post (#2, 3, 4, and 5) could be applied to FFXIII as well, and I will admit that I've only played the first two chapters of FFXIII-2. However, I will not defend its story: I was disappointed by FFXIII's overall story, and FFXIII-2's story seems even more disappointing thus far. However however, I will and have defend(ed) the battle system to the death, because it's so good.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Ya, I know what you mean by all this, but I have underlined (or quite...) the fact that I've only played for... Well... 20 min or so. This was just my opinion based on those 20 min. Games are like books sometimes : sometimes they draw you directly, sometimes you have to go and adapt yourself to them.

But you should not consider my view as "offensive". I'm not familiar very Final Fantasy (well, I don't really play games these days and I only own a Wii so I guess I've become what people call "a casual gamer") and the battle system was all new to me. That was just my feeling and I wanted to write it down, nothing more, nothing less.

If you've seen something offensive in my post, then my opinion shouldn't count (though I think it should) and you shouldn't pay attention to it anymore.

I mean, it's not as if I was one of those useless self-sufficient bastards that give a grade out of 5 stars/10/20 for a whole game whereas their playing time did not exceed an hour.

;-)

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:09 am

This is no longer the Final Fantasy I grew up with and loved. RIP.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW