Proposed Idea: MM Skype Pathfinder/D20 game 

Post Re: Proposed Idea: MM Skype Pathfinder/D20 game
Here you go Bry:

http://talesofthefroggod.com/sword-wizardry.html

It's basically a clone of the original D&D 1.0 but with a couple of ambiguous rules ironed out and clarified. None of this "I put all my points into persuasion so I talk the guard into letting us go" kind of stuff. It's dungeon crawling, worrying about running out of torchlight and getting one-shotted by the boss kind of game. Everything can kill you at pretty much anytime, and that's the way I like it. In fact, treasure is worth XP as well as monsters, and I'd say 2/3rds of the the XP you gain is from finding treasure and outsmarting enemies, not just killing dozens of goblins.

Makes you feel so much more badass that way.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds great to me. According to the description is is like 0e D&D. I now have to determine what class I'd like to roll.

Stick to my general go-to of a daft and cunning stealthy bastard.... or go full circle and play the paragon? Guess that decision will also hinge on the rest of the group comp. I'll gladly play the healer if I can make him into some kind of questionable mad scientist type.

I know they are holy but the idea of the slightly corrupted cleric who uses "alternative" methods seems fun to RP. Also maybe instead of making the undead flee from my holyness perhaps we could make them flee from my greater dark aura... little things that still fit in the core system without going overboard.

|Twitter|

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 am

My brother and I are playing some test sessions up through Christmas and I'm really liking the world I've set up and will likely continue to use it. He's got three main PCs and I have a DM controlled PC to give him a party of 4. If a couple of MMers join we can either retire some of his PCs (if they are still alive! Mwahaha!) or they can be taken over. He's got a Fighter/Magic User/Cleric (and my Thief) so really any and all classes would be welcome.

If you roll a high strength, Fighters are bad-fucking-ass in S&W. They don't get much in terms of abilities, but their to-hit and damage bonuses make them awesome for the first few levels. Conversely, Magic Users and Clerics can be a little useless unless they have bonuses to spell slots (Clerics don't get anything -- except Turn Undead of course -- until Level 2 by default). Thieves are downright hard to play I think with only 4hp. Backstab is cool but getting one-shotted to death is not.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 pm
Profile WWW

I'd like to play. But it's very dependent on the day/time we want to meet up. But, roll20 will make things really easy. I hope.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

So Divine and Bry, you guys in? My usual sunday afternoon game is on hiatus, so I am going to ramp up the game I am DM'ing in currently. It's Swords and Wizardry (so like 0e D&D), over Roll20. We have two players already, so 2-3 more would be perfect.

Sessions would be 4 to 4.5 hours max. I am thinking every other sunday from about 2-6 Central Time. Let me know if any of you guys are in, and I'll PM/facebook you with information about how to create your characters and whatnot.

If there is a better date/time let me know! If you can only play "once in a while" I do have a couple of characters you can run. If you want to be a regular, you can roll a character and we'll just let someone run your character on those occasions you can't make it.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 pm
Profile WWW

You guys!!

We need to roll for initiative!

Let me know if you're in. Our next session is likely this sunday, from 1-5(or 6) Central Time.

My players just cleared out a pretty big dungeon and are now at a good point to introduce new characters if you want to join. I have two players running 2 chars each, so you can always run one of their characters if you want.

If you want to know the kind of fun we are having, they are now level 3, and just finished busting up the plans of an evil guy who was hiding in an old gothic castle in the middle of an acid swamp. A crazy mad scientist/wizard, he was spurned by the kingdoms' council of mages, who had outlawed his inventions. So, he decided to exact revenge. Meanwhile, a tribe of goblins was pissed off because the nearby mining city was employing the more docile, "soft bellied" goblins as house servants, and they saw it as an insult to their race. The mad scientist was able to turn this goblin tribe into his own army through charisma and trickery, and together they captured trolls and city goblins and started conducting experiments...

His evil plan was to fuse goblins and trolls to create an army of "troblins" to ransack the nearby city. He had kidnapped a friendly goblin that the party was fond of, and that's how they got caught up in this mess. The party figured out how to get into the central room/lab of this castle, and fought some badass troblins whom the scientist let loose. The scientist decided to make his escape by blowing a hole in the wall of his chamber, but was chased down by the fat magic user, Abo. After killing him with a magic missile to the back, the party set about trying to kill these troblins. They were constantly regenerating and had extra limbs/attacks, boosted speed, and were just generally wicked.

Finally, they figured out there were wooden trap doors set in the floor, and were able to knock one over onto one, where he crashed through and fell into a pool of acid below, dissolving once and for all. It didn't take them long to see the other troblin to a similar fate...

They also had to cross a passage filled with a shallow acid pool to get some treasure, and one of them (the dwarf Burrik) made make-shift boots out of clothes and things that were lying around. He was sent running across the shallow pool carrying two ends of rope. The clothes protected his boots from the acid long enough for him to get across. They used the rope to make a simple bridge attached to the wall (one rope about 6 feet up, the other about 1 foot up). They made it across one by one, but the magic user missed his dexterity check and his strength check and fell feet first into the acid. By the time he made it to the other side his boots were dissolved, and now he has to go back to town barefoot.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

I'm down, just like I said when you messaged me. Anyone else want to jump in as well? I'm fine with running two characters, but I definitely wouldn't mind letting someone else in.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I've got the pdf that you linked me, so I'll try and read up a bit. Certainly down for the fun. Running a pre-rolled would be fine with me because it will cut out a LOT of the prep time.

|Twitter|

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 pm

The boards were spitting errors at me, so I made a triple post!

|Twitter|

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

So I've been reading up on the systems and magic stuff, I can see why you like this system. If this becomes a regular participation thing I'd certainly like to roll up a char of my own, but for the first session or two using an existing one will let me get a bit more familiar with how things work/how you choose to run it. The system leaves a lot of room for imagination on the DM and PC part, so I fear no amount of reading will really prepare me as much as just participating.

|Twitter|

Last edited by Bry-Master-3k on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm

It's definitely a loose system. I have one rule as a DM - if it makes sense, go with it! As far as Magic, if you are a Magic User, you have to have obtained a spell from a spellbook or scroll to know it (1st levels get to roll to see which ones they know already). The more powerful you get the more creative you can be, inventing your own spells, crafting your own magic weapons and such.

The world is totally homebrew so I can just retcon anything I like. If we don't like a rule in the book or if it's confusing, we'll create a house rule right then and there. I am definitely not a "rules lawyer" type of DM. The point is to have fun, explore and hit things.

The session this sunday will be a one-shot with you two and my brother all over Roll20. You'll each be playing a fighter, since the player that has those characters is not going to be there.. Absolutely I'll help you roll your own characters after Sunday. Rolling Characters in S&W is like 3 minutes. Pick a race/class, roll attributes, roll HP, roll gold, go shopping. You'll be rolling level 2 characters, so keep in mind while we are playing sunday as to what class/race you might want to try.

I'll PM you the deets.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 am
Profile WWW