[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Metroid Metal - View topic - Wii U

Wii U 

Post Wii U

Last edited by hobo on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 136 times in total.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:36 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Wii U
Nice, Hobo holding it down as usual. That's such an odd launch date. I wonder if it will be earlier for the US and Europe? They'd have to for a holiday launch. Oh, well the US presentation just started so we'll see. Oh s**t they just said it's Nov. 18 so I was right.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am
Profile WWW

Bayonetta 2 is coming to Wii U, exclusively, and published by Nintendo. What?!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am
Profile WWW

My only concern for Wii U is, once Microsoft and Sony put out their next consoles, what incentive do publishers have to release anything for Wii U beyond downgraded ports and minigame collections? I just feel that, as long as Nintendo remains behind in terms of power, they will never get the 3rd party support they need. I just hope they have more up their sleeves, because they're going to have to be firing on all pistons for the next year if they hope to pull some market power from Microsoft and Sony. That's most likely going to mean throwing a lot of money at 3rd parties for exclusives as well as dipping into those franchises that everyone wants but they never seem to deliver. Basically this next year needs to be an orgasm of Nintendo delight or they risk being forgotten when the next Xbox and Playstation come out.

I also just want to mention how much I love that the New Super Mario Bros. series seems to be following the same evolution of the main Mario series. NSMB 1 was like Super Mario Bros. in it's barebones platforming feel, NSMB Wii was like SMB 2 more of the same but with a lot more challange (at least to me), NSMB 2 feels a lot like SMB 3 and now NSMB U looks to be emulating a lot of what made Super Mario World great. It makes me wonder what's next for that series. Are they going to go for Yoshi's Island or go straight for Mario 64?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 am
Profile WWW

Pass.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:52 pm

The day Pikmin 3 is out, is the day Nario has a Wii U.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Imma get a Wii U. But you already knew that.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

I'm going to get one for sure, but this may be the first Nintendo system (not just console, SYSTEM) I haven't gotten on day 1. I just can't justify it. However, come February/March when I get my tax return and there are definitely lots of games, then I'll be getting it for sure, plus some Wii games I never got to play because i got rid of mine like 3 years ago.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile YIM

My Wii is very under used so Wii U has to prove itself to me before I'll bite. To be fair, some of the best games this generation have appeared on the Wii. Still, I'm holding out as I just have too much stuff in general.

Bayonetta 2 makes it really tough cause I loved Bayonetta a lot. I'm sure the platform exclusivity will end at some point but still...Bayonetta.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 am

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I have to say it's not exciting me much either. The potential is there, but there just isn't enough to make me want to part with my cash just yet. This is actually grating on me a bit (as sad as that is), as i'm usually a day one purchaser of Nintendo products. :(

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

Nintendo offers what Nintendo offers. Until the industry changes in a serious way (an OnLive that works, an OUYA that's got a billion licenses all ready to go at launch), the gamer that wants to be able to play everything on one console isn't going to be able to buy that console, they'll have to create it for themselves.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the industry can head in either of two ways:

Branded spaces: Nintendo has created their own market where you know what you're getting going in. It's like a theme-park. They have their cast of characters and their diehard fans love nothing more than to immerse themselves in THE Nintendo experience. You can't get this Nintendo experience anywhere else, but don't expect the next Half Life to be designed with the WiiU in mind. The alternatives of course are PlaystationLand if you want to play more crazy japanese games or XBOXLand if you want to play western stuff without weird PS3 glitches.

The Uni-Console: Studios adapt, focus on the software, reach as many consumers as possible. Sega ditched their old hardware strategy for this one. Waiting it out until, like it is with the movies, a screen isn't so much thoughtfully curated as it is a blank fair-game canvas. PC and Steam users already know about this, and Sony and Microsoft have been battling it out to claim the Uni-Console crown for the last two generations. We'll see how that goes.

"GOSH DANG IT!!"

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Profile WWW

I'm buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games (also Rayman Legends). If there's decent third-party support, that's a sweet bonus! That's my attitude to all Nintendo hardware these days.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm all for the Nintendo ecosystem. On the day that Zelda/Metroid is released I will own a Wii U...but the novelty and hype isn't there for me this time like it was the Wii. I dunno....maybe i'm just old and cynical these days. :shifty:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile ICQ

Sounds like the Deluxe Set is in short supply - GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, Sears and Kmart have already sold their pre-order allocations.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 pm

It looks to me like if you don't get one off the bat, then the likelihood of continued third party support is going to diminish. It seems like the other developers are just testing the water. If it pays off then they will likely jump right in. Most, if not all, of the third party titles that are being announced for this console are just to see if it's worth it. I might get one right off the bat just to enthuse third party developers to make titles for this game. An Elder Scrolls title for the WiiU would be something awesome. Basically, it's that, "I'm just getting it for the Marios" attitude that drives developers away from making titles for the consols, and then the consumers run out of things to play and demand more. It's a cycle that I'm hoping will end with the WiiU.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 am

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I lied. Preordered my Wii U from Walmart today. Fun part is that I'm working the midnight release so as soon as I get off, I can pick mine up and go home and play it. :D

Also, if you're wanting to preorder in the US and missed the other retailers' Preorder windows, check your local Walmart. We started our Preorders on the Deluxe unit last week and are running preorders till 11/1 or until allocations run out, so get on that.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile YIM

I knew you would, kingnothing. :) That would break your Nintendo Code if you didn't! I know how you are with Nintendo systems at launch, and it makes me smile.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:35 pm

The closer the launch date gets, the more I start feeling like I did the month leading up to the wii's release. I'm super excited, even though I know I should remain cautious.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 pm
Profile YIM

I came in here and ctrl+f'd "Zelda".

Disappointed with the result.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 am
Profile YIM

I want Square-Enix to make an awesome sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The screen on the controller will show you all your stats for your party as well as let you input commands. I just loved the s**t out of FFTA, I could spend hours just managing my party, grindin' them skill points, just thinking "okay, one more battle then I'm done." Also, throw in online multiplayer for co-op questing or battles against each other.

I know it's not exactly an innovative use of Wii U but I want a new FF Tactics game so whatever man I'm entitled to my opinion.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Actually, Doomy, that's an awesome idea. And I'd totally be down for a Tactics A3. I put well over 100 hours into A2 on the DS.

As far as using the screen on the controller to manage stats and whatnot, that's perfect. After all, Pikmin 3 is going to use it as a map. I'm kind of getting the feeling (especially looking at NSMB U that only uses it when playing multi) that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to make the screen on the controller do everything like they did with the Wii and the DS (in the case of the DS, it was mostly only initially, but in the case of both systems, third parties suffered from it for a long time).

From a design standpoint, I'm actually really impressed with how Nintendo's handling their gimmick for this generation. My only concern is from a marketing standpoint. Of course the system's gonna sell out nationwide within the first week, but that's just from the people like hobo, Nario and myself. Most people who have a Wii still -to this day- think the Wii U is just the Tablet Controller that works as an add-on for the Wii U, so they're not going to immediately see the need to buy it.

Word of mouth still has a lot of clout in this day and age, but if Nintendo doesn't step up their advertising game, they're not gonna have the success they did with the Wii. With the Wii, they didn't have much to offer gamers like those of us here, especially when it came to third parties, but they sold the f**k out of it because of advertising and hype. This time it seems the opposite is true. The serious third party games are there from day 1 (even if they are ports. GTFO with your cynical bulls**t), but nobody but the gamers actually know what the Wii U is.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile YIM

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm

They already lowered their projections for this year. Oof. I wanna play Nintendoland more than any of them other games. :metroidanim:

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

. EDIT: . .

I've updated the first post with info on the system UI and Nintendo Network IDs.

EDIT: .

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 am
Profile WWW