Wii U 

Post Wii U
Wii U Launch Info Roundup
Official sites: Japan - North America - Europe
Iwata Asks

Release Date & Price:
  • North America: November 18, for $299.99 (Basic)/$349.99 (Deluxe)
  • UK: November 30, for around £249.99 (Basic)/£299.99 (Premium)
  • Europe: November 30, for 299.99€ (Basic)/349.99€ (Premium)
  • Australia: November 30, for $349.95 (Basic)/$429.95 (Premium)
  • Japan: December 8, for ¥26,250 (Basic)/¥31,500 (Premium)

What's in the Box:
    Wii U Basic Set
    • Wii U Console (White, 8GB)
    • Wii U GamePad
    • AC Adapter
    • GamePad AC Adapter
    • 1.5m HDMI cable
    • Sensor Bar (US)
    Wii U Deluxe/Premium Set
    • Wii U Console (Black, 32GB)
    • Wii U GamePad
    • AC Adapter
    • GamePad AC Adapter
    • 1.5m HDMI cable
    • Sensor Bar (US/EU/AU)
    • Console Stand
    • GamePad Charging Cradle
    • GamePad Stand
    • Deluxe Digital promotion/Nintendo Network Premium
      A kind of eShop loyalty program, running thru 2014
    • Nintendo Land (US/EU/AU)
    • Dragon Quest X Wii U beta access (JP)
    EU/JP Exclusive Bundles
    • Wii U Premium Set (sans Nintendo Land)
    • Pro Controller
    • Zombi U (EU)
    • Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. (JP)

Accessories:
  • Pro Controller ($49.99/£39.99)
  • Console Stand
  • GamePad Stand/Cradle Set ($19.99/£17.99)
  • Microphone (for SiNG Party) ($24.99)
  • Wii Remote Plus Additional Set (£49.99) (EU/AU/JP)
    Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk + Sensor Bar
  • GamePad Accessory Set (£7.99) (EU/JP)
    Screen protector + large stylus + cleaning cloth

Launch Day Games:
  • Nintendo Land (US/EU/JP)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (US/EU/JP)
  • Assassin's Creed III (US/EU/JP)
  • Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (US/EU/JP)
  • Ben 10 Omniverse (US/EU)
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II (US/EU)
  • Darksiders II (US/EU)
  • Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (US/EU)
  • ESPN Sports Connection (US/EU)
  • Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade (EU)
  • FIFA 13 (US/EU/JP)
  • Funky Barn (US/EU)
  • Game Party Champions (US/EU)
  • Just Dance 4 (US/EU)
  • Madden NFL 13 (US)
  • Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (US)
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition (US/EU/JP)
  • Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. (JP)
  • NBA 2K13 (US)
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (US/JP)
  • Rabbids Land (US/EU)
  • Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game (US)
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited (US)
  • SiNG Party (US)
  • Skylanders Giants (US/EU)
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (US/EU)
  • Tank! Tank! Tank! (US/EU)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (US/EU/JP)
  • Transformers Prime: The Game (US/EU)
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (EU/JP)
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (US/EU)
  • ZombiU (US/EU/JP)
Full US launch window lineup (thru March '13)

eShop Launch Lineup (US):
  • Chasing Aurora
  • Little Inferno
  • Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition
  • Nano Assault NEO
  • Trine 2: Director's Cut

Other Game News:
  • Monolith Soft (Xenoblade) are working on a new Wii U game
  • Platinum is developing Bayonetta 2 exclusively for Wii U, published by Nintendo [Trailer]
  • Project P-100 is now The Wonderful 101 [Trailer]

System Software:
  • Create up to 12 user accounts per console, select the user when the console starts up
  • Saved games and settings are managed separately for each account, along with play history and browser bookmarks
  • WaraWara Plaza is shown when booting up the console
  • Shows Miis clustered around icons of your games and games friends are playing, displaying their comments
  • Screenshots can be posted to Miiverse
  • A spoiler filter is available for Miiverse messages, and messages can be reported for spoilers
  • Seems like you can "follow" people without them being a full friend, Twitter-style?
  • Selecting a game in the Plaza allows you to view more info or purchase on the eShop
  • The Home Menu is very similar to the 3DS Home Menu, allowing you to launch games from a grid, or access built-in system features
  • Of course, a Mii Maker app is included, plus Activity Log and Parental Controls apps
  • Wii U Chat application is included, here's a video demonstration with Iwata and Reggie
  • If you receive a call via Wii U Chat while you're playing a game, the Home button will flash
  • Wii U Chat works without the TV screen
  • The Internet Browser is based on NetFront and can be accessed in-game; here's the specs and an Iwata Asks

Nintendo Network:
  • Register a Nintendo Network ID with an account to access eShop, Miiverse, etc.
  • Nintendo Network signup requires email address, password, gender, date of birth and area of residence
  • eShop purchases are managed by Nintendo Network ID
  • All user accounts on a console can use eShop games and add-ons purchased by another user
  • Nintendo Network ID will come to other Nintendo hardware in the future
  • eShop and Miiverse will be accessible via PCs and phones sometime next year
  • The eShop can be browsed while playing a game, and features HD videos, screenshots, and demos
  • Wii U requires a day one update in order to access most network features, as well as Wii support
  • DLC support will be added in December

Nintendo TVii:
  • TV, movies and sports viewing/discovery service powered by i.TV
  • Combines live TV, DVR/TiVo, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, NFL Sunday Ticket
  • Personalized for each user
  • Also provides info from Wikipedia and IMDb
  • Works with "all" major US & Canadian cable/dish providers
  • Works in conjunction with your existing cable box/TiVo/DVR
  • Launching in December in US and Canada, at no additional cost
  • No support for Japan/Europe at launch
  • Here's a video!

Backwards Compatibility:
  • All your original Wii Remotes, Nunchuks, Classic Controllers, Balance Boards, AV cables, LAN Adaptors, and Sensor Bars are supported
  • Wii game discs work, and you can transfer your downloaded games to Wii U
  • Transferable content includes game saves, WiiWare, Virtual Console, DLC, Mii characters and Wii Shop Channel activity along with any leftover Wii Points
  • Transfer requires both the Wii and Wii U, an SD card and an internet connection; all content must be transferred, and is deleted from both the Wii and SD card once transferred to Wii U
  • Wii content is launched from an actual Wii Menu app - once booted, you're essentially just using a Wii
  • Wii games behave exactly as before - they aren't upscaled and cannot be displayed on the GamePad
  • WiiWare and Virtual Console will continue to live on the Wii Shop Channel, accessed via the Wii Menu, and will not be sold on the eShop
  • WiiConnect24 doesn't work, and it seems all the apps, bar the Mii Channel and Shop Channel, are gone
  • GameCube games and accessories, and the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, are not supported

Hardware Info:
  • Full tech specs
  • No launch window games include support for 2 GamePads, so they won't be sold separately at launch, however Nintendo will sell replacements for broken GamePads
  • The GamePad's batteries last 3-5 hours per charge; charging takes around 2.5hrs
  • The Pro Controller lasts 80hrs, and takes 4.5hrs for a full charge
  • The batteries on the Pro Controller and GamePad can be replaced; Nintendo will sell official batteries via customer service
  • Unlike the Wii Remote, Pro Controllers can be charged via USB (incidentally, there's 2 ports up front and 2 in the back) and lasts around 80hrs on one charge
  • The console can be turned on and operated via the GamePad, without turning on the TV
  • The TV can be turned on via the GamePad TV remote screen
  • A digital console manual is available on the Home menu, and games can also include digital manuals

Storage:
  • Actual usable storage is 7.2GB for the Basic Set and 29GB for the Deluxe/Premium Set
  • However, 4.2GB of data is created when setting up the console
  • Internal memory is expandable via USB media like external hard drives
  • At launch, only one drive can be connected at a time, however, this will be rectified post-launch
  • Only 2TB can be used by Wii U, even if the drive is bigger (until the December system update, drives over 2TB won't recognised period)
  • Drives are formatted for use with Wii U and can cannot be used in a PC without reformatting
  • Nintendo can't guarantee that bus-powered drives will work correctly
  • Nintendo does not recommend USB flash drives, as they can be damaged by the frequent data access
  • SD cards are primarily there for Wii content, and cannot be used to expand the Wii U memory, nor to store Wii U saves
  • SD/SDHC cards up to at least 32GB are supported; SDXC/UHS-type are not supported

Game Info:
  • Game discs are 25GB
  • Standard US game price will be $59.99
  • Games are region-locked
  • Almost all first-party retail games will be available digitally, third parties can opt-out
  • The bundled copy of Nintendo Land will be a physical disc, in a proper game case
  • Like 3DS games, the game's icon is displayed on the spine
  • A Wii U Virtual Console is planned for an unspecified point after launch
  • It appears that SpotPass will make the jump from 3DS to Wii U

Last edited by hobo on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 136 times in total.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:36 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Wii U
Nice, Hobo holding it down as usual. That's such an odd launch date. I wonder if it will be earlier for the US and Europe? They'd have to for a holiday launch. Oh, well the US presentation just started so we'll see. Oh s**t they just said it's Nov. 18 so I was right.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am
Profile WWW

Bayonetta 2 is coming to Wii U, exclusively, and published by Nintendo. What?!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am
Profile WWW

My only concern for Wii U is, once Microsoft and Sony put out their next consoles, what incentive do publishers have to release anything for Wii U beyond downgraded ports and minigame collections? I just feel that, as long as Nintendo remains behind in terms of power, they will never get the 3rd party support they need. I just hope they have more up their sleeves, because they're going to have to be firing on all pistons for the next year if they hope to pull some market power from Microsoft and Sony. That's most likely going to mean throwing a lot of money at 3rd parties for exclusives as well as dipping into those franchises that everyone wants but they never seem to deliver. Basically this next year needs to be an orgasm of Nintendo delight or they risk being forgotten when the next Xbox and Playstation come out.

I also just want to mention how much I love that the New Super Mario Bros. series seems to be following the same evolution of the main Mario series. NSMB 1 was like Super Mario Bros. in it's barebones platforming feel, NSMB Wii was like SMB 2 more of the same but with a lot more challange (at least to me), NSMB 2 feels a lot like SMB 3 and now NSMB U looks to be emulating a lot of what made Super Mario World great. It makes me wonder what's next for that series. Are they going to go for Yoshi's Island or go straight for Mario 64?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:55 am
Profile WWW

Pass.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:52 pm

The day Pikmin 3 is out, is the day Nario has a Wii U.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Imma get a Wii U. But you already knew that.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

I'm going to get one for sure, but this may be the first Nintendo system (not just console, SYSTEM) I haven't gotten on day 1. I just can't justify it. However, come February/March when I get my tax return and there are definitely lots of games, then I'll be getting it for sure, plus some Wii games I never got to play because i got rid of mine like 3 years ago.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile YIM

My Wii is very under used so Wii U has to prove itself to me before I'll bite. To be fair, some of the best games this generation have appeared on the Wii. Still, I'm holding out as I just have too much stuff in general.

Bayonetta 2 makes it really tough cause I loved Bayonetta a lot. I'm sure the platform exclusivity will end at some point but still...Bayonetta.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 am

DuckofDoom wrote:
Are they going to go for Yoshi's Island or go straight for Mario 64?

Oh, I'd love another Yoshi's Island game. Seems like a great fit on Wii, what with shooting eggs and everything.

I'll probably pass on Wii U this holiday. My backlog is huge as it is, and I still haven't seen that one must-have game, yet. I'm with Duck, in that they really need to woo 3rd party supporters. But, i think they are going to do what they did this generation, and jut make a cost-efficient console with more casual, broad-audience games, and just cackle underneath their money waterfall. I honestly don't care, since Nintendo Systems have always been my way to play Nintendo Games, and I'll probably always have one of the other systems simultaneously with a Nintendo console.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

DuckofDoom wrote:
My only concern for Wii U is, once Microsoft and Sony put out their next consoles, what incentive do publishers have to release anything for Wii U beyond downgraded ports and minigame collections? I just feel that, as long as Nintendo remains behind in terms of power, they will never get the 3rd party support they need. I just hope they have more up their sleeves, because they're going to have to be firing on all pistons for the next year if they hope to pull some market power from Microsoft and Sony. That's most likely going to mean throwing a lot of money at 3rd parties for exclusives as well as dipping into those franchises that everyone wants but they never seem to deliver. Basically this next year needs to be an orgasm of Nintendo delight or they risk being forgotten when the next Xbox and Playstation come out.

Yeah dude. I hate to be "that guy" about it, but when Hobo posted the live event streams here, I was just kind of yawning at everything I was seeing. Like, yay... Nintendo is finally caught up with the current gen. And cue another year or two, they'll be way behind again.

And as an old school gamer like most of you guys here, it's never about the graphics or anything, it's like Duck is saying here... it's the lack of true 3rd party support. I mean damn, when was the last time Nintendo truly had that? It was decent back with the N64/GC, but the PSX/PS2 libraries are literally like 5x bigger. They desperately need major third party support this time around if they really want me to care at this point. And Nintendo has certainly promised that more than once in the past, when it never happens. So incredibly skeptical about that promise, to say the least...

I'll still be a sucker for their first party franchises, but I can wait this one out. I got the Wii at launch and looking back on that, it was just so not worth it then at all. There's a lot of great games for it... now. But yeah, my excitement and love for Nintendo just really isn't there anymore.

Heck this all sums up all my thoughts on the 3DS so far. Pretty glad I never got one at launch and I can still just keep waiting it out before there's more than a dozen games that I'll want to play are on it, if even.

I'm impressed by the pricing though, I think they're pretty good numbers.

Anyways, scrolling up here ... and it's point blank obvious I'm not alone I guess. Haha, so yeah... I'll get one someday for sure, but I can easily wait it out. I think eventually I'll get one to replace my newer Wii model, maybe hack that one... and get another older Wii to replace my GC.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I have to say it's not exciting me much either. The potential is there, but there just isn't enough to make me want to part with my cash just yet. This is actually grating on me a bit (as sad as that is), as i'm usually a day one purchaser of Nintendo products. :(

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 pm
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

Nintendo offers what Nintendo offers. Until the industry changes in a serious way (an OnLive that works, an OUYA that's got a billion licenses all ready to go at launch), the gamer that wants to be able to play everything on one console isn't going to be able to buy that console, they'll have to create it for themselves.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the industry can head in either of two ways:

Branded spaces: Nintendo has created their own market where you know what you're getting going in. It's like a theme-park. They have their cast of characters and their diehard fans love nothing more than to immerse themselves in THE Nintendo experience. You can't get this Nintendo experience anywhere else, but don't expect the next Half Life to be designed with the WiiU in mind. The alternatives of course are PlaystationLand if you want to play more crazy japanese games or XBOXLand if you want to play western stuff without weird PS3 glitches.

The Uni-Console: Studios adapt, focus on the software, reach as many consumers as possible. Sega ditched their old hardware strategy for this one. Waiting it out until, like it is with the movies, a screen isn't so much thoughtfully curated as it is a blank fair-game canvas. PC and Steam users already know about this, and Sony and Microsoft have been battling it out to claim the Uni-Console crown for the last two generations. We'll see how that goes.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 pm
Profile WWW

I'm buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games (also Rayman Legends). If there's decent third-party support, that's a sweet bonus! That's my attitude to all Nintendo hardware these days.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm all for the Nintendo ecosystem. On the day that Zelda/Metroid is released I will own a Wii U...but the novelty and hype isn't there for me this time like it was the Wii. I dunno....maybe i'm just old and cynical these days. :shifty:

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile ICQ

Sounds like the Deluxe Set is in short supply - GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, Sears and Kmart have already sold their pre-order allocations.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 pm
Profile WWW

hobo wrote:
Sounds like the Deluxe Set is in short supply - GameStop, Best Buy, Target, Toys R Us, Sears and Kmart have already sold their pre-order allocations.

It's not pre-order only is it???

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:47 pm

I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 pm

It looks to me like if you don't get one off the bat, then the likelihood of continued third party support is going to diminish. It seems like the other developers are just testing the water. If it pays off then they will likely jump right in. Most, if not all, of the third party titles that are being announced for this console are just to see if it's worth it. I might get one right off the bat just to enthuse third party developers to make titles for this game. An Elder Scrolls title for the WiiU would be something awesome. Basically, it's that, "I'm just getting it for the Marios" attitude that drives developers away from making titles for the consols, and then the consumers run out of things to play and demand more. It's a cycle that I'm hoping will end with the WiiU.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

junkBOYEE wrote:
It looks to me like if you don't get one off the bat, then the likelihood of continued third party support is going to diminish. It seems like the other developers are just testing the water. If it pays off then they will likely jump right in. Most, if not all, of the third party titles that are being announced for this console are just to see if it's worth it.

Be nice if the Vita was treated similarly at launch. lol

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 am

hobo wrote:
I'm buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games (also Rayman Legends). If there's decent third-party support, that's a sweet bonus! That's my attitude to all Nintendo hardware these days.

That's the spirit!! I've tried to keep that attitude with all my N consoles. The 3DS locksup just made me so pissed I had to sell it.

I probably won't get the WiiU at launch, because nothing game-wise thrills me except for NintendoLand. And I don't have a house full of college roommates to do that - like we did with the GBA Pac Man thing. My God the memories. What a game.

The Wonderful 101 looks f**king AMAAAAAAZING though.

What I'm really hoping for with the WiiU is good eshop content. The one thing that WiiU has that none of the other consoles will have is that wild controller. Devs could crank out awesome short games with a creative mechanic that no other system is able to offer. I feel like N should push the eshop stuff more with devs. Cheap game after cheap game of experiences you can't get anywhere else - instead of ports with touch screen stuff tacked on. That's what I want to see.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I lied. Preordered my Wii U from Walmart today. Fun part is that I'm working the midnight release so as soon as I get off, I can pick mine up and go home and play it. :D

Also, if you're wanting to preorder in the US and missed the other retailers' Preorder windows, check your local Walmart. We started our Preorders on the Deluxe unit last week and are running preorders till 11/1 or until allocations run out, so get on that.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile YIM

I knew you would, kingnothing. :) That would break your Nintendo Code if you didn't! I know how you are with Nintendo systems at launch, and it makes me smile.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:35 pm

The closer the launch date gets, the more I start feeling like I did the month leading up to the wii's release. I'm super excited, even though I know I should remain cautious.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:13 pm
Profile YIM

I came in here and ctrl+f'd "Zelda".

Disappointed with the result.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 am
Profile YIM

I want Square-Enix to make an awesome sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The screen on the controller will show you all your stats for your party as well as let you input commands. I just loved the s**t out of FFTA, I could spend hours just managing my party, grindin' them skill points, just thinking "okay, one more battle then I'm done." Also, throw in online multiplayer for co-op questing or battles against each other.

I know it's not exactly an innovative use of Wii U but I want a new FF Tactics game so whatever man I'm entitled to my opinion.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Actually, Doomy, that's an awesome idea. And I'd totally be down for a Tactics A3. I put well over 100 hours into A2 on the DS.

As far as using the screen on the controller to manage stats and whatnot, that's perfect. After all, Pikmin 3 is going to use it as a map. I'm kind of getting the feeling (especially looking at NSMB U that only uses it when playing multi) that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to make the screen on the controller do everything like they did with the Wii and the DS (in the case of the DS, it was mostly only initially, but in the case of both systems, third parties suffered from it for a long time).

From a design standpoint, I'm actually really impressed with how Nintendo's handling their gimmick for this generation. My only concern is from a marketing standpoint. Of course the system's gonna sell out nationwide within the first week, but that's just from the people like hobo, Nario and myself. Most people who have a Wii still -to this day- think the Wii U is just the Tablet Controller that works as an add-on for the Wii U, so they're not going to immediately see the need to buy it.

Word of mouth still has a lot of clout in this day and age, but if Nintendo doesn't step up their advertising game, they're not gonna have the success they did with the Wii. With the Wii, they didn't have much to offer gamers like those of us here, especially when it came to third parties, but they sold the f**k out of it because of advertising and hype. This time it seems the opposite is true. The serious third party games are there from day 1 (even if they are ports. GTFO with your cynical bulls**t), but nobody but the gamers actually know what the Wii U is.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:27 pm
Profile YIM

kingnothing997 wrote:
My only concern is from a marketing standpoint. Of course the system's gonna sell out nationwide within the first week, but that's just from the people like hobo, Nario and myself. Most people who have a Wii still -to this day- think the Wii U is just the Tablet Controller that works as an add-on for the Wii U, so they're not going to immediately see the need to buy it.

Word of mouth still has a lot of clout in this day and age, but if Nintendo doesn't step up their advertising game, they're not gonna have the success they did with the Wii. With the Wii, they didn't have much to offer gamers like those of us here, especially when it came to third parties, but they sold the f**k out of it because of advertising and hype. This time it seems the opposite is true. The serious third party games are there from day 1 (even if they are ports. GTFO with your cynical bulls**t), but nobody but the gamers actually know what the Wii U is.

It's true! Nintendo also needs to advertise to gamers as well, like, try to steal the 360/PS3/Steam audience and convince them that Wii U is the way to go. How they'd do that, "idk lol", but at least they're trying.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 pm

They already lowered their projections for this year. Oof. I wanna play Nintendoland more than any of them other games. :metroidanim:

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

Friend Codes are dead!

Here's a summary of other news from today's Japanese Nintendo Direct, including the system UI, Miiverse, and Wii U Chat. EDIT: English-subtitled videos. And here's a brand new Iwata Asks for Miiverse.

I've updated the first post with info on the system UI and Nintendo Network IDs.

EDIT: NoA has an English video that explains WaraWara Plaza and Wii U Chat.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 am
Profile WWW