Wipeout vs F-Zero vs Extreme-G 

Post Re: Wipeout vs F-Zero vs Extreme-G
Is a five-year necrobump better than a new thread? You decide.

I really enjoyed playing F-Zero GX. What I didn't like about it was its tacky imagery: two-headed, steroid-pumped aliens flying small houses through gaudy environments that looked like Mighty Max toys on crank.

Now that I have a PS3, I'm considering getting Wipeout HD. It seems like it circumvents most of that tackiness, although the plasma cannons and s**t worry me. Does anybody have an opinion on how it compares to F-Zero GX?

I might just be trying to resolve conflicting desires 1. for something that girls would enjoy and 2. for typically boy-oriented AWESOME SPACESHIPS going TURBO SPEED with ROBOT MUSIC.

Love and rock!

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:12 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

I feel your concerns, but gameplay should eclipse visual style and that applies especially well here. F-Zero GX is the fastest racing game I've played in my life and no comparable game will ever match its intensity. Fact? Why, it's indisputable! So the way I see it, the prospective gamer in question will absolutely not be concerned with how the game looks if what they're interested in is the best possible experience in virtual beyond-ridiculous brain-panicking heart-exploding lung-collapsing speed because F-Zero GX is the gold standard. The ferocity of that game will be the deal-breaker long before the aliens are. If she doesn't want punishingly fast racing, then that's how you decide.

And for what it's worth, I was never impressed with Wipeout. One man's opinion, but still.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 am
Profile WWW

I remember playing a demo of the original Wipeout on a Windows 3.1 box with a 486x... that was the last time that series impressed me. Most of that is tied to my first exposure to that kind of game, but it certainly was not fast on that machine. The soundtrack has always been enjoyable, but I don't care much for the series. I LOVED Extreme-G 1 and 2 back in the heyday of the N64, but it has been so long since I played them that I am not certain they will hold up well. F-zero is fun no matter what version you play, so I would say that is the clear winner. Fond memories of passing off the SNES controller while playing F-zero and Top Gear with my buddy.

|Twitter|

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:14 am