03.  Dehumanized
04.  Bastards Of The Machine
05.  Heretic
06.  Children Of A Faceless God
07.  Electric Messiah
08.  Prometheus (I Am Alive)
09.  When All Is Lost 

Source: http://www.ugo.com/music/symphony-xs-new-album

A few of their new songs are up on youtube, if you're interested. I still stand by my opinion of Paradise Lost, as well as where I hope they go with the album in general. This should be great!

End of Innocence
Dehumanized

Code:
Let's hope this one's more like V and less like Paradise Lost.  I'm really not a fan of their latest album, and I hope they return to their neo-classical roots and bring back the [i]chugga chugga[/i]. Allen's vocals really took a turn for the worse, especially compared to his sheer brilliance in The Odyssey, and I really hope he goes for less of a aggressive sound on the new one. And, no more cheesy music videos!  Just focus on the music.  I'd much rather see a live DVD promoting the new album or something than dragons fighting angels and crap.

I guess I'll return to lurking now.

Oh crap, I forgot to tell Col. Hagstrom to polish the dimensional distortion turbines and re-install Windows XP on the ships inter dimensional walky talky thing... we might end up in an alternate post synthetic spasm rendered REE AAAHH LUUH TEE

Last edited by Felix on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:17 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

Post Re: Next Symphony X album in the works?
I kind of disagree with you on a lot of stuff.

Allens voice is getting better and better IMO

it's all opinion though

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post Re: Next Symphony X album in the works?
Maybe it was the overall production of the album that I didn't like. Allen's growl vocals just didn't do it for me on Paradise Lost, but, as you already said, it's all subjective anyway.

I'd like to know your thoughts on where you disagree, though.

Oh crap, I forgot to tell Col. Hagstrom to polish the dimensional distortion turbines and re-install Windows XP on the ships inter dimensional walky talky thing... we might end up in an alternate post synthetic spasm rendered REE AAAHH LUUH TEE

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post Re: Next Symphony X album in the works? YES! 6/21/11
bump for the first post.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Well, I listened to The End of Innocence and I think it sounds really good. I still think that Paradise Lost was a pretty good album, but I can understand if you didn't like the growling vocals. Russell Allen is capable of really good clean notes and I'm glad to see that they're kinda going back to that with the new album. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 pm

If I were to judge the upcoming album on those 2 live tracks alone I'd say it sounds as though they're getting more grounded in their style (which is more power metal than prog). I'm sure there'll be a few odd ones, maybe one epic. I kind of stopped caring though.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Russell's vocals have been great on all albums to me but they have gotten kind of gritty(which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Dehumanized sounds great!

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile WWW

Gritty power metal vocals is a good thing. If there was a vocal gayness scale where both extremes are the gayness and center is the sweet spot (i.e. from one to ten, 1 is pop punk, 10 is death metal pig squeals), RA would be a 4. Jens kidman would be in a unique spike around 7-8 that is devoid of gayness. Robert plant would be a perfect 5.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:22 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm fine with Russell Allen's gruff vocals in The Odyssey -- it seemed to be more controlled than in Paradise Lost. He had a great mix of gruff and clean vocals that I loved. But, on Paradise Lost, his voice was a bit too gruff for my tastes, and it sounded oversung to me, like he was trying too hard to make it heavy.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Wonder if I should bump another old Symphony X thread and piss off Stem. XD Here goes.
Actually this album is killer. Don't know what the fuss about Paradise Lost is, it was the first album I got by them and it got me hooked. Iconoclast is what made me decide they're my favorite.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:13 pm

i hate this album

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

i don't even listen to the new albums. the last one i really liked was the odyssey.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Kirby Pufocia wrote:
i hate this album

D:

Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

It's not that it's the worst music ever ala this, but imho this album lacked any originality or inspiration. Symphony X used to be this really awesome flavor of prog metal mixed with neo-classical. They were a band that most would compare to Dream Theater in virtuosity and raw talent. After that hiatus they went on after The Odyssey, I think they've lost whatever spark of creativity they had when crafting albums like Divine Wings of Tragedy and V (and Twilight in Olympus, which I think is pretty underrated). I know bands evolve and change, but I really don't find this direction interesting or stimulating.

My opinion. That's all it is. :cool:

Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 pm

that looks like a pretty correct opinion. i didn't feel like explaining myself, earlier, when i said i hated the album, that they released last year.

Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm
Profile WWW