Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Home Recording F.A.Q. 

Post Home Recording F.A.Q.
As much as I thought there would be one of these, there's mostly a bunch of threads asking specific questions about recording.

Well, here it is - your helpful resource to ask any home recording questions to the MM community.

I'll start this thread off with a PM that Remokari sent me not too long ago, to see if you guys can offer any more advice than I have.

Remokari wrote:
Hey dude. I heard your recording of the finalized Ibanez! Sounds awesome, dude! :D I was just wondering if you could answer some questions for me. I'm am new to the whole recording thing. I can play guitar, and I've been playing for quite some time, but I don't know how to record. I understand the entire, 'buy a recording station and a mic' thing, but I really don't get much else. I really would like you (because you are pretty much all around this subject) to explain to me the ENTIRE breakdown of recording. Pretend you just got a guitar and you wanna start recording. Tell me about where to plug in the mic, which software to get, tell me EVERYTHING. I would really appreciate it if you could.
Much thanks,
Remo

To which I responded,
I wrote:
Hey, I'll be glad to help how I can.

So, I'm assuming that you've already got a guitar and amp to record with (unless you're recording direct [without a mic]), which I wouldn't really suggest). You're also going to need a decent computer to record with.

Now that you have all of that, next thing you're going to need is an audio interface for your computer. This is a really fancy way to say an externat souncard with a shit-ton of inputs and outputs, basically.
It has other things, though, too, like effects sends and returns, MIDI ports (which you'd really want if you were *sequencing instruments like drums and synths instead of actually recording them)

*Sequencing - programming computer plugin instruments through MIDI

An example of an audio interface is my Echo Layla3G:
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Layla3G/index.php

It's a bit pricey, though, for if you're just starting.
One I'd suggest is the Lexicon Omega - it's a USB audio interface, as opposed to PCI, which makes it easier to get installed, and it's cheap, works, and has most everything that you'd need.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA

It's $300 for the bundle, but it also comes with a DAW program that you'd need to buy otherwise (Digital Audio Workstation). Your DAW is the computer program that you'd use to record, sequence, mix, and master everything. It's the one program that does everything.
The DAW program that I use is Sonar 6, but that's kind of pricey as well. The Lexicon comes with a copy of Cubase LE, a lite version of Cubase, but it does everything you need. It supports MIDI, so you can sequence all your drums, synths, and other instruments that you need.

If, however, you decide against the Lexicon and go for another one, and you don't need MIDI capabilities - which means that every single instrument in the song, you're recording - then a good program is Adobe Audition. Remember, though - if you're going to be programming drums/bass/synths/strings/etc, this won't work and you'll need something with MIDI, like Cubase.

Now, you've got your interface and your DAW program. Next thing you'll need to worry about is a mic. There's only one mic that I can really suggest, the Shure SM-57. It's cheaper than most mics at like $80, and it is one of the best mics you can record with on a budget. Really, nothing I'd suggest over the SM-57.
Don't forget to buy a mic cable, too.

Now, install your interface, install the DAW, plug in the mic and put it up to your amp.
Adjust your mic position to whatever sounds good - have someone play the guitar, and while you're listening to the noise your computer is giving you, move the mic around in front of the speaker. Turn it off-axis, do whatever. There's whole huge guides on doing this, and all you can really do is move the mic and listen, and get a sound you're looking for. This is an important step - the acoustics make just as much difference as your equipment quality and your mixing job, so this is important. When you get a sound you like, adjust the input gain on your interface until it's loud, but doesn't *clip.

*Clipping - overdriving or distorting the signal from too much volume.

Set your tempo and keys and things in the DAW and record away!

Now, if you're going to be sequencing instruments, like drums or synths, you need to have the plugins (VSTi plugins, usually) to do it. I have Drumkit from Hell Superior for my drums, but an alternative to an expensive and space-filling program to something like that is getting Native Instrument's Battery, and downloading free drum samples online. Battery will play the samples for you when qued by MIDI.
Or, you could get a program called Fruity Loops, and program the samples into that. I'd suggest Battery however - Battery has velocity controls, for more realistic drum sounds, is more compatable with more DAWs, and is all around less tedious and more versatile than Fruity Loops.
And if you want some really good sounding samples, and are willing to pay a little bit for it, go for the Drumkit from Hell Multi. It's got a lot of great sounding samples, and has pre-set up kits for Battery already, and is cheaper than most at $99.

Once you have whatever plugin you have, go the the VSTi instrument device controls in your DAW, and set it to a slot. Create a MIDI channel, and have the output from that going into your VSTi. If you have a MIDI controller, like a keyboard, you can record it as the song plays, just like you would a live instrument. If you're recording it, remember that there's an option in your DAW to *quantize the MIDI. If you're not going to record MIDI, you can always go to the Piano Roll view and pencil each note/hit in.

*Quantize - lining up the MIDI notes with a set duration at the tempo set.

Ok, you're done recording. Now, time to mix everything. Although the DAW probably has some basic EQ, it probably doesn't have much more. This isn't a necessary step to recording, but it helps the sound quality a whole lot if you can afford to spare the money and time. A great, great all around program to use is iZotope Ozone 3. It has most everything you need - parametric EQ, compression, stereo imaging, reverb, everything you need. You can use these as effects on single tracks or as global effects on the whole mix.

Mixing is a HUGE subject that I really wouldn't be able to explain everything to you about, but a good place to get started is a free mixing guitar on the Ozone website

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/o ... gGuide.PDF

Once you're mixed, you should be done. Export to to audio from your DAW, and you've got your completed song!

Yeah, recording can be really expensive, especially when you start building your studio with great speakers, headphones, mics, programs, etc, but I've given you all the basics.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

I tried covering everything I could, but if you guys can offer any more advice to the man, post it here, along with any other recording questions that you need to ask!

Last edited by Kidd Cabbage on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 pm
Profile WWW

You should change it to Home Recording F.A.Q. and have this stickied.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:22 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

I need some midi lessons. I can't even figure out how to use battery correctly.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 am
Profile WWW

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:09 am
Profile WWW

Ibby, thanks for dropping the names of some good apps. I'll have to pass them on to my audiophile/musician friend. He has been using an older version of FruityLoops.. and an even older version of CoolEdit. Just out of curiosity, will most of those run well on a slightly older computer or should he seek older versions of those as well.

He is running an old HP tiny-tower from 97-98. He replaced the mobo and processor and I think he is at least running a 1.8 in there. He has a good sound card, thanks to my tips, and he also has the same Shure mic as you.. (he bought one for his father and grandfather as well, both independent musicians).

|Twitter|

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:06 am

Just out of curiosity, will most of those run well on a slightly older computer or should he seek older versions of those as well.

He is running an old HP tiny-tower from 97-98. He replaced the mobo and processor and I think he is at least running a 1.8 in there.

I honestly don't know. Not sure what he's got in it besides that, but if it's upgraded and running XP and has recent drivers for everything, I don't see why not.

He'd have to probably compare with the system requirements for each.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:09 am
Profile WWW

That would make sense, but yes.. I got him running XP and I beefed up his ram. I'll just have to check the specifics when I go over there. Thanks again though.

|Twitter|

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:24 am

Cool Edit Pro 3 (or Adobe Audition 2, if you prefer) is a pretty big system hog, from what I've seen. Cool Edit Pro 2 (pre Adobe) is a good bet if you can find it. I'm using Audition 1.5, and it's just fine on my 2.2GHz AMD64 with a gig of RAM.

CEP2 has real-time effects, which may cause a problem on slower systems. If so, CEP 1.1 is the way to go. For a while, I'd have weird syncing problems - tracks I'd record would no longer line up when I opened up a session. I got in the habit of starting every track at the beginning of the song, even if it was just a single punch-in at the end.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am
Profile WWW

Fruity Loops has velocity control. I just don't use it very much.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 am

Well, I mean like having different velocities play different samples and things, like drum hits - soft velocities are soft hits and hard are hard.

And if you're saying Frooty Loops still does it, then I didn't know! Still hardly versatile and really tedious, though. :P

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:56 am
Profile WWW

Fruity Loops (at least as of version 4) just is the same sample at different volumes when you adjust the velocity. That's how it seems to work anyway. There may be something else going on, but I'm not sure. It is tedious to do, but I can't imagine that any other way would be easier, unless you were using some pressure sensitive input pad. That never worked out as well as I would have liked on my Alesis SR-16.

It's my understanding that Drum Kit From Hell uses different samples based on the velocity threshold, so soft hits are actually softer sampled hits rather than just lesser volume on the same sample.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

It's my understanding that Drum Kit From Hell uses different samples based on the velocity threshold, so soft hits are actually softer sampled hits rather than just lesser volume on the same sample.
That's my understanding as well. It makes sense of course. What doesn't make sense to me however, still, is that some drum kits have different samples for left and right hits on toms and snares. I still don't get the point of that. Seems a bit too anal to me. You can still get a humanistic drum beat or whatever by playing with velocities, right? Perplexing.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:47 am
Profile WWW

I can tell a difference when a real drummer is using RLRL rather than all one hand. I guess you could approximate the natural differences with velocities, but different samples would be more "real" I suppose. It is totally anal, but I can see the point.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 am
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Drums ship today apparantly.
:metroidanim:

This midi triggering will be new to me, so I'm hoping to figure it out as I go along. Do you have a source for good free samples, or would you really opt for the $99 drumkit from hell?

What program would be decent for recording? Assuming simply triggering samples with an electornic kit is my sole priority.
I am all about freeware, whenever possible.
8)

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:13 pm

Fruity Loops (at least as of version 4) just is the same sample at different volumes when you adjust the velocity. That's how it seems to work anyway.

I dunno how it works for every type of drum thingie, but with soundfonts it depends on whether or not multiple samples were programmed into the soundfont to trigger at different velocities.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:47 pm

In mine, they aren't. That could be a function of my knowledge of how to set that up, but I just know mine doesn't do that with the samples I use.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

chunkstyle wrote:
Fruity Loops (at least as of version 4) just is the same sample at different volumes when you adjust the velocity. That's how it seems to work anyway.

I dunno how it works for every type of drum thingie, but with soundfonts it depends on whether or not multiple samples were programmed into the soundfont to trigger at different velocities.

Hey Paragon, if you know how to do that in Fruity Loops, can you let me know how?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a Sennheiser 421 II mic for all-purpose recording, especially to basically replace my SM-57 as a cab mic. Anybody have any experience with this mic?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:41 am
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

Just remember practice makes perfect. You'll probably do 10 recordings, and each one will sound good to you when they're done.

However, after 10, recordings one through eight will probably sound like absolute dogshit to you. Don't worry about it, it happens to everyone.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:39 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I 2nd that. The more you do something, the better you get at it. It's the natural progression of things.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile WWW

You guys are useless. I just bought the Sennheiser MD421. Doubled with my 57, oh yeah. I'll get some clips for you guyses tomorrow maybe. Probaby sometime before the end of the month, at least.

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:46 am
Profile WWW

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hjtyeb

First is the SM57 against the mesh
Second is the 421 against the mesh
Third is SM57 against the mesh with the 421 about four feet back (I didn't listen to this position well... just set the mic and recorded)
All clips are 100% rough.

In other Recording F.A.Q.s, anyone know of any decent VST programs for vocal distortion?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Anyone know anything about iZotope Trash? I have experience with them from Ozone, but wanted to check on Trash - see if it's worth anything.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:32 am
Profile WWW

You guys are unhelpful bastards, you know that?

I'm have some trouble with the mics phasing, though (dual miking). Even when I hit the phase reverse button, it still phases, but has a different tone of phasing (if that makes any sense). Can anyone give me any tips or rules of thumb about mic phasing?

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:50 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/spot ... hase.shtml

Microphone phasing!

You really don't want to have to invert one when using only two mics because it's easily avoidable. Distance ratios.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:20 am
Profile WWW

My 57 and 421 are starting to sound pretty good together.

I'm impressed with this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4gtfzc

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

Mics sound good.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next