Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Home Recording F.A.Q. 

Post Re: Home Recording F.A.Q.
post your s**t when it's done! I'm a fan of that setup, with complaints. Battery is great once you learn it. Be sure it's Battery 2 at least.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:08 pm
Profile WWW

I will. I'm doing up an original now. I think I have everything set and mapped enough for this song. Battery is slowly starting to make some sense for me. I started mouse clicking the drums in. It's really not so bad, it just takes time. I am using step sequencer for some parts and piano roll for the rest.

The only thing I am wondering is how to control volume for each drum sample individually on the Sonar end. For instance, I have all snare drums (snare left and snare right) on stereo 5/6 output in battery. On the sonar end is there a way to break them apart to separate audio tracks to control volume for each sample individually? I have been adjusting the volume through battery since I can do it individually for each cell but was wondering if there was a better way.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 am

You can control the velocity in the piano roll view by hovering in the right spot over each note. However, velocity doesn't mean volume. Velocity is just math that goes to Battery. What I do is have multiple drum samples per cell, and I use the stack view to stack them (right clicking in the stack view gives you all kinds of options once you have all the samples in). You can click on the left side of the stack view to preview the different samples that will be triggered at different velocities.

SO, to my knowledge, you'd need multiple samples at different volumes to have different volume, UNLESS there's a way to literally map the velocity to the overall cell volume. It seems like you should be able to do that. I'd go read that Battery manual end to end (it's around).

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:40 pm
Profile WWW

I think I have my velocities set good enough for now. I was wondering how your audio tracks look in Sonar. When I create the project I insert soft synth, select battery, choose to insert midi track and all stereo outputs. Sonar then creates audio tracks for all stereo outputs from battery. Even though in battery I have Snare Left, and Snare Right (two separate cells) on stereo output 5/6 is there a way to have snare left and snare right on their own audio tracks in Sonar? Currently in Sonar I have one audio track for Snares with an input of battery stereo 5/6 and an output to my Drum Master stereo bus.

Man this stuff gets complicated. I was just wondering how your tracks are set up in Sonar.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:39 am

I don't know why you would want separate audio tracks for snare left and snare right, but if you do, you need to assign left to like 5/6 and the right to like 7/8. Why do you want them separate though? Don't you want to control the snare on a single track? You only mic a snare once. ;)

No problem on the questions. I'm just glad you are asking non-douchey questions instead of "I want to make beats,wher can I get this program?" ;)

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:19 am
Profile WWW

The reason why I was asking about the tracks is volume related to mixing down. Say Snare Left is a little louder than Snare right and I wanted to bring the volume of Snare right up a little bit (at max velocity). Currently I go into battery and select the snare right cell, and slide the master volume slider up or down. I wasn't sure if I should be somehow doing that with a Sonar audio track instead of battery.

Regardless I am up and running now. Though It seems like every time I sit down to program beats I end up pulling more samples into battery and mapping velocities heheh.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm

You have your choice. You will have some natural differences in volume, but that's part of the humanization. A lot of times, when you start doing post on drums and get some compression in there, the snare samples start evening out anyway.

spacerobot wrote:
Regardless I am up and running now. Though It seems like every time I sit down to program beats I end up pulling more samples into battery and mapping velocities heheh.

It's called building a foundation. ;) Keep it up!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:24 pm
Profile WWW

I've been using the multi-mic Rock kit in battery 3 lately. I don't like the ride sound they have, but other than that it sounds realistic and great. I do some humanization, add saturation to the cymbals, and adjust velocities in the midi. I send out like this:

Bass drum - mono
Snare - mono
Toms - stereo
hi hats - stereo
crash 1 & 2 - stereo
ride/bell - stereo

Anyway, I just got ezdrummer and superior drummer from my friend, and I'm gonna give that a try, but right now, I'm loving battery. I actually just recorded a cover of the metroid metal theme, and I used battery for the drums. I'll post that in a little bit.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:55 am

Sweet! I'm still on Battery 2. I'm sure 3 kicks.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile WWW

I checked out session drummer 2 and ezdrummer and did not really like either of them. When I got to Battery 3 I thought the interface and cell matrix layout was awesome so I decided to stick with it. The rock kit has some good sounding cymbals in my opinion. I am using the ns_kit library which is why it is taking me forever to map the cells. Overall I love the drum sound of ns_kit. Bare bones the cymbals sound good, but not great to me. I'm sure once I mix and EQ them I will be able to get a great sound.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Man I need to get a guitar with humbuckers...

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Nice dude. It's different. I like it.

What do you have for a guitar setup?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:23 am

My only electric guitar right now is a Fender Standard Stratocaster, and I actually just ran it through Guitar Rig 3, and used some of their metal presets. I think I used the mid/bridge pickup selection for that one. I was pleased with the lead tone, but the rhythm needs to be fatter and chunkier, and its hard to get that sound right for me. :|

On my other songs lately I've been sending my strat through my line6 vavle112 and then miking the amp with a SM57 and sending that to one track and then also sending the direct out to another track. Then its just a matter of getting a good mix of the mic and the DI.

My next studio purchase is a small mixer (6 inputs or so) so I can utilize multiple mics. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at some of the behringer mixers since they're pretty cheap, comparatively.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:19 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

I)arkangel17 wrote:

My next studio purchase is a small mixer (6 inputs or so) so I can utilize multiple mics. Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at some of the behringer mixers since they're pretty cheap, comparatively.

I just picked up one of these
http://www.mackie.com/products/802vlz3/

it is NOT as cheap as the behringers, but that's because it uses way better build quality, pre's, etc.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Well my birthday is coming up soon, and that's not extraordinarily expensive - I might get that :) . Whats the difference between the 1/4" and XLR main outputs though? What exactly does balanced and unbalanced mean? And will it affect sound quality in a big way?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

Hopefully this makes sense
http://www.tweakheadz.com/all_about_cables.htm

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

I've been meaning to get a condenser mic for a looong time, finally pulled the trigger
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/246912.html

List Price: $1,477.00
Sale Price: $399.00

Most other places are around $900

I checked the BBB, s**t is legit.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=242411
Anybody have any experience with these? If so would you recommend?

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:30 pm
Profile WWW

I have the HD-25 II and I love em, though I can't speak for this model. Sennheiser usually makes good stuff though.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:42 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

The Senheiser HD series is pretty awesome.

The HD-595s and HD-650s are pretty much the industry standard for reference cans. I'm sure the 250s are mad solid for the price.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm

I have the HD600's, and after months of research, I don't think I you can get a better reference can for the price. I'm sure the 280's will rock. There are advantages and disadvantages to closed back, but unless you want to jack up the price for a headphone amp, closed back is your option, and should do nicely. :)

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

john_isdoctor wrote:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD280-Pro-ClosedBack-Headphones?sku=242411
Anybody have any experience with these? If so would you recommend?

I use them. Love them.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Stemage wrote:
I have the HD600's, and after months of research, I don't think I you can get a better reference can for the price. I'm sure the 280's will rock. There are advantages and disadvantages to closed back, but unless you want to jack up the price for a headphone amp, closed back is your option, and should do nicely. :)

Just checked the 600's
Sennheiser HD 600 Headphones Specifications:
- Frequency response (headphones): 12-39000 Hz
-Sound pressure level (SPL): 97 dB(SPL)
-Total harmonic distortion (THD): 0.1 % frequency response.
:eek:
If only I had $400...but I'm on a budget since I'm also paying for college.
I think the 280s will be good for the price like you guys said. I'm gonna order them and also pod farm tomorrow.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Profile WWW

Those headphones are not $400, but yeah, they were expensive. I think I paid like $270 for them or something. It was either those and an amp, or monitors, so I went for the cans. I'm in a weird room.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Stemage wrote:
Those headphones are not $400, but yeah, they were expensive. I think I paid like $270 for them or something. It was either those and an amp, or monitors, so I went for the cans. I'm in a weird room.

Oh wow. Either I was looking at a different 600 series or musicians friend is a rip off. Yeah I just found the same pair for 300 on amazon.
I'm in a pretty weird room too for now. I'm trying to clean out my basement and fix it up for a small studio.
What kind of headphone amp did you use?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

quickie new mic test

Super Mario Land ending olol

This was just in my bedroom, and my acoustic sounds shitty, but it's accurately shitty!

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:59 pm

danimal93 wrote:
quickie new mic test

Super Mario Land ending olol

This was just in my bedroom, and my acoustic sounds shitty, but it's accurately shitty!

That was with just the one condenser? Sounds very good to me.

Has anyone else tried the Sennheiser HD555's? I bought a pair a few months ago; it's my best set of headphones and I love them, but I've been wondering how much better the more expensive models would sound. I heard that the 600's only sound good with a decent headphone amp, which I didn't want to spend money for at the time. I'm not planning on buying new headphones soon, but to those who have had more experience with gear, do headphone amps actually improve the sound quality of the phones or is that just audiophile bulls**t? It would really suck buying an expensive set of headphones only to realize that they won't sound decent until you spend another couple of hundred dollars on an amp, but I guess this is why people do research on that sort of thing before hand.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:53 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Have any of you ever had experience with Ez drummer?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

I don't have experience with EZdrummer but I've heard a lot of tracks that use it. Pretty much, all the drums that use it sound pretty much the same, BUT they all sound pretty good so its OK.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:53 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

danimal93 wrote:
I don't have experience with EZdrummer but I've heard a lot of tracks that use it. Pretty much, all the drums that use it sound pretty much the same, BUT they all sound pretty good so its OK.

I just ordered since it was on sale for 50$. I can't wait for it to ship and test it out. I've heard good things about it.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next