2011 is the new black 

Post 2011 is the new black
I think we had a general consensus that 2009 sucked, so how did 2010 turn out? For me, it was pretty stellar.

Musically, I got to play 3 fantastic shows (MAGFest, PAX East, PAX Prime) with some pretty kick-ass musicians and all around cool guys, including what may well be the highlight of my musical career - getting to play with Jonathan Coulton at PAX East. I could go on and on about that experience, but I'll spare you. I finally finished and released Yes, Mayhem, and Expansion Pack helped me justify all the money I spent on new recording equipment for drums!

Personally, no complaints on the home front really. My kids are 7 and 4 now, and they're awesome when they're not being total pains in the ass. The house hasn't turned out to be the albatross around my neck I was afraid it might be. My university won the NCAA basketball championship (again). My wife has gone yet another year without stabbing me in my sleep. All positives.

Professionally, I still have a job that has its rewarding moments. I'm not really climbing any ladder here, as there's not really a ladder to climb, but I do well and feel like I'm respected by bosses and colleagues alike.

I have no reason to believe that 2011 won't continue the trend. I've already got stuff underway for a next Yes, Mayhem album, and I hope to start recording on that toward the end of January. If Grant has any intention of scaling back MM, he hasn't told me about it, so full steam ahead there. We're playing MAGFest again in a couple of weeks, and I'm excited about our set and seeing everyone there.

My wife currently works as a manager for a company that provides services for people with disabilities, but it looks like she might be quitting that to work full-time at home by starting an "assisted family living" scenario. A kid will be moving in with us, and she'll work with him. This will bring its own set of challenges, but hopefully also rewards. This is something she's wanted to do for a while, and it was something that factored in when we bought this house. I'll probably have to buy a minivan, and that's not something I'm prepared to accept.

So yeah, Happy New Year guys.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: 2011 is the new black
First off I'll start by saying that 2010 was WAYYYYYYYYYYY loads better than my 2009. It wasn't the best it could be but, as long as I never have another 2009 I'm okay.

Personally, this year was much better on this front but I guess it'll take awhile to stop getting hit with waves of the past etc. They are much fewer and much farther between. They also hurt less, but it'll still get to ya. Understandably, I suppose. It's also been hard to make connections with completely new people that I have no tangential friends with but I did succeed in making a solid friendship with a coworker that started in October. He's another bassist OF COURSE who started working at my company. So I'm not completely away from finding new people, just really defensive about it.

Musically, I did quite literally nothing this year and it saddens me. I've had one project lined up and between working and small angst bouts I never did anything on it. Then when I would buckle down to try to do something for it, I'd have to fix something like modify the action or get new strings and break them in or get studio monitors cause my old speakers broke. Eventually (yesterday) my internal soundcard got shorted out somehow and won't be recognized. So again I have to put that project on hold until I can afford a replacement. While the other excuses were those type that maybe I could have worked around (borrowed a bass from any of the bassists I know IRL or borrowed my room mates speakers or something) this particular one is kinda hard to work around as I need the soundcard for the inputs. The upside to this? I hated having the soundcard in the computer and I know they have external options available that will be more portable.

One thing I have done musically was learn about how to write chip tunes and started toying with some of that and getting some lines written; enough that I convinced myself to pick up LSDJ and a gameboy. So hopefully something will come of that, I'm not setting a new years resolution to do it, but I'd really like an album of omnichips to share at some point in the relatively near future. The only thing left to do is figure out a little bit more about which wavs to use where for leads and such which will probably just come with more practice. Here's hoping.

Professionally, holy s**t I nailed it this year. Back in May I quit my first job of my career to advance it down in the Dallas area. I chose a poor location to start living, which was 10 minutes from my office but 30 minutes from everywhere else. I need to move the other way 10 minutes from my office, so I'm 10 minutes from everything. That will be fixed this coming May when the lease is up. The job itself is great and I'm performing really well. Enough that as long as there are no freezes in money this year, my boss has said he aims to give me as big a raise as he can. Which is extremely good praise with or without the raise. Not to mention it's significantly more than I was making living in Sherman. I also feel like I've... sharpened... my C...#... skills enough in the 6 months I've been here to be able to apply pretty much anywhere and nail an interview if the worst were to happen. I no longer live in a state of perpetual fear about losing my job.

Socially, ups and downs. I've reconnected with a huge sect of people I lost after highschool and it was like no time left at all. It's been great, but I've really dwindled in social connections and such overall. Can't wait for MAGFest to hang out with people I haven't got to see in 7 months to a year. You guys are awesome and even though I don't post much, I still drool with anticipation for all your throbbing knobs.

Hopefully everyone else's 2010 got a little better than the universally faggy 2009.

I still read and keep up with people on facebook for sure!

Happy New Year everyone.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:35 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

If life were a roller coaster, then 2010 was the year that everything derailed and I crashed head first into deep, severe depression and reached new heights of anxiety and stress unlike any other time in my entire life.

I lost my job, my pride, my mind and a whole lot of money.

In 2011, I'm going to try to do everything I can to not foreclose on our home, give up my car and sell my possessions on ebay, while continuing to look for work. Everywhere I apply, I'm either over-qualified or under-qualified or I get no response at all, which feels like a lose-lose situation.

The good news is that the government extended my unemployment benefits. Also, I've spent the last 6+ months teaching myself some CSS, HTML, MySQL database management and whole slew of other internet related stuff in the hopes that I can make some money by freelancing with what limited talents I now possess. I'm even working on a website to host my own business, which I hope to have completed very soon. I don't know if it will take off. I'm really quite scared, actually. I'm putting everything into this project and don't know what will become of us if I can't make good things happen. I'm just gonna keep working into the new year and see what comes...

Happy new year to all.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

Slightly roller coaster year last year.

I went to my first two Cons ever. MAGfest kicking off the 2010 season and in the middle of it all was the Screw-Attack Gaming convention which was quite the experience in and of itself.

I completely destroyed my Spring Semester which was a nice feeling, but becuase of the fact that I was growing socially (online and otherwise) my fall semester fell flat and I even failed my first class. Which is a big deal to me, but I fully realize that in the grand scheme of everything its not that big a deal. Just cut my losses and move forward and do better.

I have now become a competent singer, whereas before I was shitty now I am merely average, though I do think my versatility is something to be mentioned as a highlight of this year, I went from being only a metal screaming vocalist to now being more at home in a variety of Genre's. Even country (believe it, I'm not showing anyone that terribleness.) My confidence has increased, and I'm going to take over jamspace for as long as they'll let me and perform some of my... hits? I wish they were hits, but its cool, you'll enjoy them as they are all video game-y.

The year of 2010 also introduced me to how awesome coffee is, and I will be assuredly bringing some of my finest beans to consume in place of bawls. Becuase bawls, while delicious makes me tired with all that damn sugar.

All in all, 2010 was great, and 2011 looks to be even better because I have an EP in the works that looks like it'll be coming out early - mid 2010 and I have many more VG mixes to go!

My goals for 2011 are to become more balanced with my time, like right now I have things I should be doing but I am doing this instead. That will change and slowly but surely it is.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:21 pm

My year was definitely a rollercoaster, but it was the most awesome rollercoaster ride ever.

Musically, I slacked off. I got too depressed and distracted to do much bassin'. I am disappoint. My resolution for 2011 is to buckle down and seriously practice.

Socially, I've finally fully developed the self-confidence I've needed to have for years. I hate BK with a passion, but it's because of my coworkers (who have almost all become close friends) that I'm not afraid of talking to people any more.

Personally, the beginning of my year was s**t. I was walking 2 1/2 miles to work in 4 degree weather at 3:30 in the morning because my vehicle died, the girl I had been dating went all bi-polar and batshit and broke up with me and it was really devastating, too. Then in March, I got my 2004 Grand Am and I love it. My depression lasted until around mid-July, when I started to finally recover, which was awesome. I just enjoyed being single for a bit, hung out with friends, played games, read books, etc. Then at the end of October, I met a girl I was convinced was perfect. You know, the redhead that was in a band. Well, she ended up hooking up with a guitarist to sabotage herself because it turned out she was also bi-polar, insecure, and generally insane. Just as I was starting to really get better, I got teased with 3 weeks of awesome and then had it torn away. Not long after that, I started talking with a girl I've worked with for about a year, but had never really talked to. We hit it off great. We talked pretty much every day for like a month, then we finally went out on an official date. It's gone swimmingly since then, and as my facebook will show, I'm gonna attempt to keep her. I'm ringin' in my New Year right, kiddies.

Overall, my 2010 gets a rating of f**k YEAH

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:43 pm
Profile YIM
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Well ditto to everyone else so far, this year was a rollercoaster indeed. 2008 was probably one of the worst years of my life by far, 2009 was a nice improvement, and although 2010 presented several issues I'd say it was definitely a good year. 2011 looks to be full of challenges and I'm ready for them.

To get "the stupid" out of the way first, I never worked this year at all. I'm still living at home with the family, last year I worked full time so I was able to save up a ton and paid for school all three semesters this year myself and haven't had to borrow anything, but yeah. Now I'm just about down to zip and paying for it, I wasn't even a full time student the whole time so I should have been working part time at least.

Now for the bad, as I talked about in some other threads earlier I found out I had a lower hernia a few months back. And all you can do to fix these is get surgery. So that plus NO insurance at the time was a huge slap in the face. The surgery was one of the worst experiences I've ever had as well, so that was bad stuff. I suffered for a week or two after, but now I'm good to go again.

The other bad is that my car again, like every year, brought on some new issues. Just this month the day before Christmas Eve I went outside only to see one of my tires had finally gone completely flat. Thankfully I scraped up just enough Christmas money from family to get two new front tires. But yeah, the car still needs some fixing up here and there. Just hope it can hold out.

As for the good, the relationship with my family has been better than ever before. A lot happened here and it was good stuff. Made a handful of new friends as well. Other than that going back to school was a big thing for me, I took some computer/electronics courses throughout and had a lot of fun, discovered some new interests, and hope to go further when I can.

Because of the money issue though I'll probably be putting my education on hold again next semester, and I'm gonna consider looking for full time for awhile again. I hope I can land something good, just get some good experience in, maybe network more with friends and businesses for some potential paths to open up. It's going to be challenging stuff but it's definitely time to get out there and get s**t done.

I was working out off and on throughout 2010 and really enjoyed it, but the hernia put that on hold. That is a new goal for 2011, and for the first time... I think I'm gonna get serious about setting goals and fulfilling them, little or big. So for 2011 after I've recovered a little more and think it's safe to get active again, I definitely hope to get in shape again, build up a little, live and eat healthier, and hopefully this'll improve my sleep and other issues.

"We need to stop worrying about the future, and focus only on tomorrow" lol.

Definitely looking forward to 2011. Happy new years everyone.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

The past few years have been s**t for me, to be honest. The difference with 2010 is that I've changed my organizational habits in many important things; it can be summed up in just generally taking things more seriously... but it was still a s**t year. I'm hoping to achieve a lot in 2011, I've succeeded at somewhat bettering myself this year so I will try to apply these changes the following years. My resolutions are to write more music while moving on to heightened levels of musicianship, to compose in more interesting and varied ways, to revisit my obsessive drawing and animating habits in order to land a spot in a fantastic animation program after hopefully finishing this last semester and moving on to bigger and better things.

The best thing I've learned from 2010 is that physically noting down my goals is great, regardless of priority. With some sort of foundation, I can expand on these reminders and eventually achieve pretty much anything I may have set my mind to, regardless of the situation. For 2011 I plan to set bigger goals (seeing that this method helps me) and gradually build towards them, hopefully achieving what I need to.

Happy new year, all the best.

Cut that s**t out.

Seriously.

-God

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:40 pm

2010 was better than 2009. Musically, it was a milestone. Professionally, it didn't move at all - personally, same thing. I won't throw the year aside like I did 2009, but I am hopeful for the months to come.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm
Profile WWW

I had soooooo much sex.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Lots of LSDJ buyers this year.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW

spook wrote:
I had soooooo much sex.

You manwhore you.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:53 pm
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

2010 was a pretty shitty year for Armcannon, we were AMAZINGLY nonproductive, I was supposed to have the Weaponex EP done and I don't. Metroid Metal probably had some of the biggest highlights this year. I also did Danimal Across America which was pretty much the best thing ever. In terms of solo stuff I did that Castlevania tune, the rap song, and also got involved in the chip scene. The chip scene has been pretty amazing, and I haven't even played a show yet. I've already got some amazing offers and compliments from it, so I'm excited for what that's going to bring.

I recently started seeing a really nice girl, so there's that. I still need to get a new job, probably pretty soon, I wonder if my references even remember me anymore.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:57 pm

I'll have a recap of 2010 tomorrow, but 2011 has already gotten off to a pretty good start. Seeing somebody who really digs me, which is f**king awesome.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:20 am

2010 mayaswel just not existed for me...im in the same position as 1 year ago just 1 year older....
no job, no BF, living with parents...

Highlight was my Pendulum concert.

Job centre messed up a course i really wanted to do and was my last chance to get it for free. they made me do 6month childcare course...i hated the ppl i worked with, they were horrible...but I stuck it out in hope for a qualification and another job opportunity...at the end of it i never got my technical qualification and told i needed to be observed for the other part of the qualification (but can only do this after my 6months is up ???) ..was told I'd have to work voluntary...
of course after 1month of calling the guy ...gettin no answers..no certificates(waited over 5months)....was all totally useless... :stabface:

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:54 am

2010 was the year of change for me. Some good changes, some bad, but most definitely change. Overall I feel like I’ve grown exponentially as a person, for better or for worse.

I started dating a girl after courting her for nearly two years. Good relationship overall, however over time it basically become more about me dragging her around to do stuff than anything else, and it just wore me down to the point where I said “This just has to stop, for both of our sakes.” She didn’t disagree, and we split up in September. Had some great times and a lot of good memories, but it was time to move on.

I went to my first MAGFest last year as well. Finally got around to meeting all the whores, including (but not limited too) Stemage, chunkstyle, hobo, Linearity, Omnideth, Divinebeing, Arrow, Kirby, Darkangel, spook, norg, Snappleman, daminal, and last but not least, Nario. Discovered some new music, met some really awesome people, heckled Jon St. John, and most importantly, had an absolute f**king blast, easily the best weekend of the whole year. I had such a good time and partied so hard I actually had to pull over in Maryland to take a nap at the service area on my drive home. Looking forward to M9 in ten days.

My career is pretty much the same as it was last year. Nothing much has changed on that front. Still barely make any money to survive on. I was finally able to move out of my parents’ house into my own apartment. Little rough right now since I have to buy the stuff I don’t have (like bedding, pots, pans, etc), but I’m managing. That’s all that matters.

Lastly, I just started dating somebody new, and everybody already seems to totally dig her. The fact that my friends approve so much means a huge deal to me. She’s a really sweet girl and she’s totally into me, so I really don’t wanna f**k this one up. We hung out last night for New Years, and I didn’t go home until like 3am because neither of us wanted to get up from the knot we somehow tied ourselves in from laying on the sofa.

But yea, 2011 is already looking up.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:06 pm

spook had sooooooo much sex with me.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:06 pm
Profile WWW

2010 was a great year for me. No girlfriend, same job, but some fantastic things happened this year.

I finally got to go to Japan, which was an utterly incredible experience. I went out to California and hung out with a friend I haven't seen in 2 years and then got to meet some of my extended family in Tacoma for the first time just after that. I did MAGFest and PAXes East and Prime (with Omni in tow) and got to see a whole lot of you over the year and I can't wait to do more of that in less than 2 weeks (!).

There was a bunch of little things that made the year great too: seeing Back to the Future in a cinema, being at Disneyland for it's 55th anniversary, going to a shooting range while I was in Tacoma, crossing the 1000 games mark and filled some gaps in my console collection.

Professionally I'm still stuck working at Gamestation but I'm making (very) slow steps towards something better involving graphic design. I finally set up a regularly-updated website to showcase the posters and such that I make for work and friends. I'd like for that stuff to form a portfolio sometime soon, once there's some more hand-drawn stuff in there.

This next year should be very interesting. I've already booked travel for PAX East and MAG and have some ideas about where else I could go. There's also my 21st birthday coming up in May (hoboFest!) and I feel this is the year I want to get away from my current job and actually get paid for the graphic design stuff.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

My 2010 was full of a decent amount of good and bad. Every year since I started high school has been full of so many new experiences, that regardless of how depressed I can get,i can't really count this year as a net negative. Let's see, I moved out of the house, learned guitar, got an office job instead of my high school supermarket job, made some great friends, discovered the awesomeness of metroid metal, and saw an MM concert. All the negative stuff I can count as learning experiences. I seriously feel like I know twice as much now as I did this time last year. So, if nothing else, 2011 will have some more painful lessons to learn, and I'll be the better for it. Hey, that almost [*]
    sounded optimistic!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:57 am

Kidd Cabbage wrote:
    spook had sooooooo much sex with me.

I can't remember half of it though :(

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:02 pm
    Profile WWW

Let's see, 2010 was pretty much eh. I got a job and then almost immediately got laid off (three months). I played some awesome games, slept more then I should have and pretty much lazed about. I spent a hell of a long time trying to get a job and now I'm jobless and they didn't approve my unemployment because I was employed for such a short time. So now I'm broke, living on my friends couch... again. and trying to find ways to get along. My boss offered to give me a letter of recommendation but he never followed through, my roomate's a pig,

But honestly, I'm really happy. b(˚3˚)d

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:24 pm
    Profile WWW
    \m/ Sponsor \m/
    \m/ Sponsor \m/

Man, definitely a lot of negative things about jobs these last few years with the economy and all. Hit my family pretty bad as well and so it's almost a little scary needing to get out there now and hopefully finding a decent job to tide me over, but who knows what'll happen.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:48 pm
    Profile WWW

I graduated from college in 2010, and in doing so I ended a three-year interval during which I was concerned only with finishing my degrees. After that I began concerning myself directly with longer-term problems and I started living entirely on my own income, which was a weird change. A cool guy 13 years my senior told me a while back not to worry about studying a lot, because "if you work hard now, you will be partying SO HARD later." It's been almost eight years since he said that, and it seems like now is the time to start planning the party.

I realized I'm seriously interested in making video games and I've been working hard both to improve my knowledge on the subject and to find a way to hustle enough cash to pursue it. I made good progress on both last year!

I started exercising a lot and I got really fit; I gained 15 pounds, which is good for me. I had some disappointing, would-be romances. I moved to Salt Lake City for grad school and started living the expatriate lifestyle.

Here's to 2011 and getting smarter, huger, and ready to start partying SO HARD.

Love and rock!

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:40 am
    Profile WWW

Pretty awesome topic so far!

My 2010 was pretty stable, with a couple of great parts. Went to Maui in November to get married. Everything went exceptionally well, and I didn't want to leave the island. Job is the same. Other than that, we bought a truck, saw the NJ Devils play the Calgary Flames, met Scott McNeil who was a great, down to earth guy, and bought a ball python that we named Bubba. Oh, and we now play WoW, which has become a great way for us to play together.

My wife and I have decided that this year we are going to leave Calgary. Our biggest challenge will be selling the house and finding jobs for the both of us before we leave. We are still a couple of years before kids will be in the picture, but we don't want to raise them here. We also want to go out camping more often. Last year we bought a bunch of camping stuff and we didn't use it once.

2010 was great, and I hope 2011 will bring new adventures for us.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 pm
    Profile ICQ

My 2010 started out pretty shitty. Both the wife and I lost our jobs. Things improved right after I saw BTBAM with Dugger. After that things started to fall into place.

New awesome job for both of us. New location. Goatlette continues to be awesome. It ended pretty well.

Really looking forward to 2011.

Last edited by tenacious_goat on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 am