Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Slow Carb Cookbook 

Post Re: Slow Carb Cookbook
Ugh, that sounds awful.

I climbed back on the wagon after a couple of months of progressively more extreme backsliding. It all came to a head last week when a guy brought in a couple of leftover cakes and I had maybe 4 slices of that. I had a pretty terrible couple of weeks at work, so I was less inclined to avoid the variety of cookies, cakes, etc that find their way into the office. Also, I've been more slack at home because it's apparently a hassle having only one person in the house eating healthy. It started with "ok, spaghetti isn't THAT bad" and seems to have ended with "if I don't eat this box of girl scout cookies now, I probably won't get any of them."

I've been starting to feel the effects of my backsliding too, so I'm pretty into getting back at it. I actually haven't gained much back - maybe 5 lbs over the last several weeks - but I can tell a difference. Honestly, I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger weight difference.

I want to do the c25k too, but it's dark when I get home and haven't been able to go running. I've acquired a treadmill though, I just have to go pick it up.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm
Profile WWW

Treadmills for the mother fuckin' win. We saved like 80% by buying an old display model from a Sears outlet.

Welcome back onto the wagon, slightly-more-chunky-style. I don't trust the scale as much as I trust a tape measure.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 pm
Profile WWW

I've been clean for 3 binge days now. Heading to my 4th one. I'm back down in the low 240s just a few pounds from the lowest I've ever been.

It's been good, but now more than ever I just need to focus and pretend I'm only a third of the way there. It's too easy to use food as an anti-depressant. Props to you gents for running. I haven't got to hard exercise, yet, but I do now walk the mile to and from my Wal-Mart when I need to pick up food 2 times a week. It's uphill. ONE OF THE WAYS.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Omni <3

I've been hovering around 151-152 for quite a few weeks now. I think this is where I maintain? Either that or step up my game and go "last mile," but I'm pretty comfortable with SCD. Although, "Maintenance" doesn't mean go back to eating junk.

SCD has been surprisingly easy to maintain these last few weeks. We've learned a few cheat codes along the way and I don't have as much of an emotional attachment to the food I eat during the week. It's just food, it fuels my body, it doesn't make me happy. It's an empowering statement.

Going to go back to kettlebell swings on my non-running days, see if I can squeeze a few more BF% out.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:04 am
Profile WWW

Man, this thread has died.

I'm still hovering at the 153-ish mark. I don't cook anymore except for scrambled eggs. I just quick giving a s**t. Mostly I just shovel protein in my mouth. Rotisserrie chickens, canned chicken, and when I feel like it, I'll grill up a couple of steaks or some chicken thighs. Sometimes I'll cook some onions and peppers with some sliced polish sausage.

But, this scrambled egg recipe is the most amazing thing ever. Try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_B3QNu_Ks

oh, and this weekend is my year anniversary of starting SCD. DAT LINE GRAPH:

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm eating a ton of protein and vegetables myself lately (I think I talked about it in the Got Something on Your Mind thread?)... it's going pretty well. But I went from 150 to 135 or something in about a month, which I don't love... but when I look in the mirror, I guess it really was just a lot of water weight and some fat around my stomach. I don't look like a twig like I was in high school at least. I haven't had soda in over a month now and I think that helped a lot too. So lots of lean meats when I can, eggs a lot for breakfast, some fruit and vegetables. Trying to get some real protein and vegetables in once a day at least. Now my doc says I need calcium though, so gonna stock up on yogurt or something.

I'm doing enzyme therapy and stuff as well so been detoxing for awhile... I stopped doing yoga for about a month, but now I'm doing some quick and easy lifting at home and already seeing results which are making me happy (arms and stuff). So hopefully I can turn around and put on some definition or something with all this protein and keep it on. I think consistency with working out has always been a problem, but now that I've radically changed my diet and stuff maybe I can do it. That and I plan to move out in a few months with a buddy of mine who works out a lot, I'm sure that'll keep me in check too.

I am very sick of eggs though and have been cheating with cereal off and on... haha, but I only nuke eggs so no wonder it's gross. I'll watch this video and maybe it'll motivate me to do scrambled more often.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

I was tired of eggs too, but that video has made me appreciate them a bit more. I add some cheddar cheese (which technical isn't allowed but whatevz), and it's like some kind of cheesy risotto texture when it's all done. Another thing I'll make is omelettes with diced bacon, tomatoes, onion and bell pepper. Makes a good dinner too.

Nuked eggs are like rubber. So gross.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

What you have to do it put it on the heat, take it off the heat, then put it on again. When you're done you take the pot off the heat, because the heat is in there and finishes cooking the eggs.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 am
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Be sure to pat the bottom of the pan a few times too. Just to show your family it's cooking.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

Hey, so is this thing still on? What is everyone's goals for the year? I'm going to try and basically double the amount of protein I eat. This'll help with my continued running, and I'll be adding some body weight training. Can I get swole with just my body weight?

I've maintained my weight pretty much consistently for over a year. However, I started slacking on the diet a bit since last October, and Christmas/Magfest was a binge-fest. I gained about 8 lbs since my lowest. So, I'm switching to a more "Paleo" diet during Sunday-Friday, and on Saturday doing a moderate binge day (probably just 2 binge meals and a dessert/snack).

I'll try and post good recipes as I find them. But, I will say my favorite thing is just roasting a whole chicken.

After rinsing the bird inside and out, dry it off nice and good. Cover that s**t in butter, salt and herbs, and slap it on a baking sheet and throw it into a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes, then lower to 425 for 45 minutes to an hour, until the fattest part of the breast is about 160 degrees. Let it rest a good 10 minutes, then tear it apart and eat it over the trashcan and let the juice and fat drip all over your chin like the caveman that you want to be. If you want to be fancy, you can even make a gravy with some of the drippings, some almond flour and chicken stock.

For something green, pop a bag of one of those Steam Fresh vegetable packs in the microwave, and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm
Profile WWW

I've gotten on a new flex after finally hitting 220 through slow-carb. I really don't think it was slow carbs fault that I took so long, it was my own wuss nature. Suckin that carb dick for way too long.

I've started drinking high fat coffee in the morning with grass fed butter and MCT oil (coconut oil centrifuged in order to get just the Medium Chain Triglyceride fats) because allegedly that's what your body converts everything to anyways when it turns on the metabolism. This allows you to get energy without turning on metabolism (allegedly, i'm an armchair nutritionist at best, but f**k you it's been working).

I've been doing it about 2 weeks now and every day I drink that mother f**king fatty creamy mess around 8am and don't eat til close to 2pm and only eat because i'm like EH maybe I could. I eat high veggie high protein meals as clean as I can, still trying to hit 199 lbs. I'm just basically using fat to enter ketosis faster than I'd be able to achieve through only protein consumption. I've already noticed clothes fitting even better and some of my nicer dress shirts now look a little too big. Benefit of rocking ketosis is allowing yourself a little more carbs than you could on slow-carb, I will every few days get a little rice (half a cup or less) wiff my lunch. I still do a binge day but i try to stick to rice for my main carb (JK I STILL EAT A PIZZA HERE AND THERE SUCK IT BODY).

Very similar to slow carb diet except high fat breakfast instead of high protein. I like both and occasionally have a kale shake with avocado, cucumber, 4 raw eggs, scoop of pb, and some salt for breakfast instead.

Gettin yolked, y'all.

Grats on everyone's progress over da years.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:20 pm

You're a beast.

I've maintained my weight for well over 18 months. I always lose the holiday/binge pounds a week or two after. It feels good, and I'm generally waaaay more conscious of what I eat and know the difference between hunger and thirst and boredom.

... however, Running has become my new drug. I run 5 times a day, 30 miles a week. I'm on track to hit 1000 miles at the end of the year easily. The year didn't start out that way. I was miserable and couldn't finish a lot of runs. I'd just be fatigued and sore and not happy. Until I discovered that carb dick again. I'm not talking a carby bukkake with hundreds of grams of warm gooey carbs running down my chin. I'm talking just the tip. Just a taste. Just a little bit. Some whole grain toast. An apple. Maybe some oatmeal with honey. Maybe a Sweet potato.

I know, you're thinking I'm totally "gay" for sucking a little carb d. But I need that s**t! I need it bad! Just a little petite d every day to fuel my 6+ mile runs.

And it feels so GOOD.

It doesn't hurt that I'm burning about 4000 calories a week in cardio.

After my Half Marathon in July, I'm hitting the weights to get swole and then cut to get a body that doesn't look so lop-sided (huge quads, tiny arms). And hopefully get the last of this f**king belly jiggle off.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

Omnideth wrote:
Benefit of rocking ketosis is allowing yourself a little more carbs than you could on slow-carb, I will every few days get a little rice

Quinoa is my jam. Quinoa erry day. It's still carby, but has a lot more fiber and protein than typical white rice.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6