Fill My Dirty, Disgusting Holes! 

Post Fill My Dirty, Disgusting Holes!
So one of my things for 2012 is going to be finally getting around to all the movies I'm supposed to watch but somehow never did. And I don't necessarily mean the stuff that, like, AFI and the Oscars tells us to watch (though I don't NOT mean that) but mostly the stuff that everyone should really see. The movies that attach themselves to a moment in your life. Stuff like "Goodfellas" and "The Graduate" and "Sabrina" that I missed somehow and now need to see. The Three Colors trilogy and "Harvey" and s**t. So I'm here asking you guys to please throw out movies you think everyone should see. If I haven't seen them then I'll add them to my list which in the coming days I'll start whittling down to around 100, which I will then spend a good part of 2012 trying to see.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in beefing up my pre-1980 knowledge, but I'm down for whatever.

Thanks, guys!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Fill My Dirty, Disgusting Holes!
His Girl Friday (1940) - Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell - fastest dialogue I've ever seen in a movie. Classic with a capital Cary Grant.

I don't need to give you any more than that, as my backlog for you goes through '13, you know that. ;)

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, that's perfect. Def going on the list. Thanks!

You may have to remind me of the other backlogged stuff, though. As the philosopher Gambino said, "My memory is hazy."

Also, for the curious, the list, as it currently stands is:

In a Lonely Place
Sabrina
Ride the High Country
White Heat
The Warriors
Red Dawn
lawrence of arabia,
brazil,
dirty harry,
amercian grafitti,
frenzy,
the wanderers
His girl Friday
Goodfellas
The Graduate

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I agree with The Graduate, I saw that as part of a film appreciation class in highschool (aka best class in highschool apart from the scifi appreciation one and the mountain hiking one. Now that I think about it, my highschool was okay.)

Also, I bookafaced you.

Oh yeah, just saw a movie this week called Love and Death I think it was... First Woody Allen movie I've seen. A zany mix of super dense philosophical (existential) dialogue (however superficial it may or may not have been) and slapstick... with some wtf thrown in. I think you would love it. :)

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:10 am

This is a good idea. I'm usually way behind on movies. I especially don't know many pre-1980 movies. Christ, I have yet to see Rocky, the Shining, 2001: a Space Odyssey (though I read the book), Clockwork Orange, The Godfather (I've caught bits and pieces when it's on cable), and the list goes on.

So yeah, see those if you haven't, or bear the secret shame that I also bear.

I have seen Network ("I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!") which is kind of a cult classic and worth watching. Frankly, it's not pessimistic enough given our media culture today.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

I'll take Doombot's suggestion a step further and say pretty much all of Stanley Kubrick's films. Early Ridley Scott too, like Alien and Blade Runner. If you've never sat through it, I strongly recommend Close Encounters of the Third Kind as well. It's tough since it's so slow to start, but it's worth it.

EDIT: Anything by Ridley Scott really, I forgot he's done films like G.I. Jane, Thelma & Louise, and Matchstick Men.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Doombot wrote:
This is a good idea. I'm usually way behind on movies. I especially don't know many pre-1980 movies. Christ, I have yet to see Rocky, the Shining, 2001: a Space Odyssey (though I read the book), Clockwork Orange, The Godfather (I've caught bits and pieces when it's on cable), and the list goes on.

So yeah, see those if you haven't, or bear the secret shame that I also bear.

I have seen Network ("I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!") which is kind of a cult classic and worth watching. Frankly, it's not pessimistic enough given our media culture today.

I've seen Rocky about a dozen times, and highly recommend it. In fact, 1, 2, 4 and 6 are all really good. The Godfather is very good but not as good as 2, other than that I do share your secret shame. Tried to watch 2001 once and it seemed to go on for 2001 days, haven't seen the shining. Saw Clockwork Orange but I was too young, I think, and I should probably watch it again.

Network is HUGELY shameful on my part and definitely needs to be near the top. And it's on instant watch (or at least it was a few months ago when i put it in my queue and forgot about it)

Great suggestions, man! Thanks!

capt_carl wrote:
I'll take Doombot's suggestion a step further and say pretty much all of Stanley Kubrick's films. Early Ridley Scott too, like Alien and Blade Runner. If you've never sat through it, I strongly recommend Close Encounters of the Third Kind as well. It's tough since it's so slow to start, but it's worth it.

EDIT: Anything by Ridley Scott really, I forgot he's done films like G.I. Jane, Thelma & Louise, and Matchstick Men.

I HATE Alien. So very much. But I have seen it. Love Blade Runner (especially the theatrical cut, with the badass VO in it) Close Encounters is going on the list right now. I really dug Matchstick Men, didn't heart Thelma and Louise and I don't think there's room on this list for G.I. Jane, but I really appreciate all the ideas, man! Thanks! Feel free to keep em coming if you like.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

Prophet wrote:
I HATE Alien.

I was waiting for that lol!

You haven't seen The Shining?! WOW, that needs to be on there. Watched it again before this Halloween. I have the UK director's cut, which is actually Kubrick's PREFERRED cut - 12 minutes shorter. This year, his wife dug out all this extra footage and they made a version that's 20 minutes longer and are calling it the director's cut, but that's a lie. Way to go WIFE.

E can you play R2 PAL DVD's? I'd love to let you borrow this one. It's better and would save you 12 minutes. ;) I'm bringing you His Girl Friday this weekend regardless.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile WWW

Stemage wrote:
I'm bringing you His Girl Friday this weekend regardless.

Oh, sweet! Thanks! I think one can switch a mac to PAL a limited number of times, isn't that right? I'll look into it, I'm sure I can play it somehow. As for the shining, I've actually seen the Stephen Webber made-for-TV version, but not the Kubrick one. But that reaction right there is exactly why I'm doing this. I know it's crazy I haven't seen these, now I'm trying to fix it.

Shining is going on the list whether I can play your version or not, sir.

Thanks!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 pm
Profile WWW

I think I got the Shining here too if you wanna hit that after our Wrightathon.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:54 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know, I may want to embargo this stuff until 2012, but i appreciate it, dude! Looking forward to the Wrightathon.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Spaceballs: The Rank
Spaceballs: The Rank

I actually really like 2001. But it's weird. It's not for everybody. While we're talking Kubrick, I actually quite like Barry Lyndon. It's basically a European coming-of-age story after his attempt to make a Napoleon movie didn't work out. It's excellent.

And I love Brazil also. You'll like that one I think.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Barry Lyndon is going on the list. Thanks, man!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:51 am
Profile WWW

I haven't seen anything mentioned in this thread, with the exception of A Clockwork Orange.

I'm an uncultured cunt.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:10 pm
Profile YIM

Donne Darko if you haven't seen it. The sequel S. Darko was bad, so don't bother with it.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 am
Profile WWW

first off, let me say that the title of this thread was a HUGE tease, so good job on that :-P

I dont think my list of recommended movies is as epic as those listed above, but I still think they are f'ing awesome.

The Godfather 1 and 2
Clerks
Mallrats
Clue
Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
American History X
Requiem for a Dream

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:20 pm