STOP ACTA/SOPA/PIPA 
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post STOP ACTA/SOPA/PIPA
So, I think this needs its own thread. Because now it affects the whole world. SOPA and PIPA are shelved for now, but they may come back. However, the metaphorical hydra has grown a new head. Although, that metaphor sucks because this new evil, the Anti-Counterfeitng Trade Agreement, has actually been around since the Bush era, and is therefore older than SOPA.

This video was quite informative, and though I haven't been able to verify all of his claims, they do make sense. His claims that I have restated here I have verified and linked to the sources in this post.

This is bigger than our favorite websites getting blocked. f**k a facebook. This is about lives. People are getting fined millions of dollars for downloading a few songs. And I just realized it took me a long time to find those sources. The Wikipedia article linked to a blog that linked to a dead end. When I Google (news) searched "Digital pirate Jammie Thomas-Rasset must pay $80,000 per song", I found ZERO results. I had to refine the search terms. This should be a big deal. And even when I did get results, the first result was the same Wikipedia article, not a real news outlet. That first article also states that 46% of American adults in a survey ADMITTED to pirating copyrighted material. That means the US government can now imprison or heavily fine half the population of the country with the world's largest economy. And it doesn't affect just America.

Even though ACTA has not yet been approved by the EU Parliament, the effects of this governmental mentality are already being seen. The United States is planning on extraditing and arresting a United Kingdom citizen, a college student, for merely running a website that only LINKED to copyrighted material. This isn't some bulls**t activism 99% whatever. This is f**king imminent. This is happening right now, and it doesn't matter where you live we need to get this out. No government should be able to IMPRISON SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY FOR LINKING TO A WEBSITE. I can't believe it's come to this. But here we are. At the brink. Tomorrow, we could lose all of our freedoms. Almost 1,000 years of progress lost. We need a new Magna Carta. We need a new Declaration of Independence. But first, we need to make noise.

Start by signing the petition to stop the extradition of Richard O'Dwyer: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sto ... dwyer.html

And add more signatures to the white house petition to end ACTA: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#! ... t/MwfSVNBK

Sources: Bloomberg, ars techinca, BBC

p.s. Sorry for being all srsface but this is real s**t.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 am

Post Re: STOP ACTA/SOPA/PIPA
Why do people want to stop soup and pipes? They never hurt anybody.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:03 am
Profile WWW

Waiting for them to consolidate all these under DERPA. I'll get behind that one.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm
Profile WWW

There's a shitton of herpa derping going on!

Seriously though, I'm with you on this.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Stemage wrote:
Waiting for them to consolidate all these under DERPA. I'll get behind that one.

This is why there should some form of upvote/like button.

Actually that's a ridiculous idea.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 am
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Quote:
You can't count the 'lost' sales that never would have happened, except in a delusional sense.

Funny quote there. Corporate America baby.

Glad others realize it was a victory over SOPA/PIPA for now, but not a sure win yet. The war has just begun probably.

Haven't been brought up to speed with the ACTA but this definitely helps.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 pm
Profile WWW