Lemme solicit some ideas... 

Post Lemme solicit some ideas...
(Just registered; my first post here. I've never been much of a forum lurker but am a long-time fan of Metroid Metal. Also, best Super Metroid clear time with no boss skips or glitching: 57 minutes, Oct 15, 2010)

So I'm playing Skyward Sword, and get to the gate of time, and think, "that looks pretty sweet. I should make that as an animated live wallpaper for my phone." I spend a couple weeks tinkering on it and get it looking pretty decent, and during that time I'm thinking, "Metroid is really my game. I should think of a Metroid-themed thing to do." But I'm drawing a complete blank for solid ideas.

Some stuff I've considered ... maybe the animated Samus logo from the end of Super Metroid? That would be cool, but kind of short. I could do something where the animation runs whenever the phone unlocks, but it seems a little weak. Maybe some metroids that meander around the screen and attack your fingers when you touch? Again, could be cool, but also seems like it would get old quickly.

Anyone have any ideas? The one thing I do know is that I'll have to include a MM-inspired Easter Egg of some sort, but beyond that the sky's the limit. Oh, and when (not if, when) it does get made, it will be up for free on the Android Marketplace for anyone to download.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Post Re: Lemme solicit some ideas...
Some random ideas:

1. Closeup of Samus' face from the Intro to Super Metroid ("The last metroid is in captivity...")
2. Samus' Ship on the Crateria surface with the grey clouds rolling in the background
3. The hatchling either restoring Samus' health or attacking Mother Brain
4. Samus' Crystal Flash animation
5. The gold Minibosses statue where the eyes light up one at a time

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

I'd thought of the miniboss statue too -- that could be interesting, but again a bit short.

One other thing I should probably mention: I'd rather avoid ripping any artwork directly from the original games, simply because I don't want to have anything "actionable" for Nintendo to C&D me over if I publish. As I'm not much of an artist, this limits me to stuff that's easy to draw in Inkscape (stuff with lots of straight lines and simple shapes, mainly), so more complex stuff like the statue would force me to bug one of my artist friends to draw something up. And we all know how reliable those artist types are... :)

But yes, all of those would be good idea possibilities to add. Maybe have a wallpaper that just does a bunch of different random animations?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:39 pm

This is pretty sweet. I'd love some of these. You could always make an apk and not upload to the market if you wanted to have some with original sprites.

All Doom's would be cool. Some Geemers crawling on the walls of the screen might be cool.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am
Profile WWW

Geemers -- ok, yes, that gives me an idea.

Gimme a couple weeks.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Alright -- it more like a couple months than a couple weeks. My Zelda wallpaper's popularity kind of exploded on me and I wanted to get that managed before starting a new one, but last Sunday I finally had a chance to spend some time on it.

This is still a very early preview; I need to:
- add random generators for the other corridor types in Brinstar (right now I just have a vertical tunnel and the lead-up to an item room)
- add more enemies, clean up the AIs on the ones I already have (those naughty zoomers like to escape)
- clean up some sprites (yeah, I broke down and ripped them from the game for now; after digging around on the Android Marketpl... err, Google Play I found some other people using direct sprite rips that Nintendo wasn't suing, so what the hell?)
- possibly add sound effects or *maybe* even add in a .nsf library to emulate the original sounds and music
- add a predictable random number generator to let you actually explore a completely random Zebes, find powerups, kill Kraid and Ridley, and eventually 'fight' Mother Brain.
- and some other stuff
- AND I just noticed that I screwed up the doors on the vertical tunnel; they open in the wrong place. 2:30 AM probably wasn't a good time to make a bunch of last-second changes last night.

So, like I said, still a *very* early preview, but feedback would be great ... at least to let me know if I'm moving in a direction that even seems interesting to anybody besides myself.

Set your Android 2.1-or-better phones to sideload and point them at: http://abusivestudios.com/Brinstar.apk

Tap stuff to 'shoot'. For now, corridors randomly change every 10 seconds or so.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:34 pm