Ender's Game 

Post Ender's Game
Is this really going to be when they finally make an Ender's Game movie?

I'm excited. Any of you nerds big Ender fans? I have read through the whole Game/Shadow series and am reading the latest one ("Shadows in Flight"). While the later books get way too dialogue-heavy and "hey look at us we're smart and we're only babies lol", the original Ender's Game is still one of my favorite books of all time. Ender's Game was way ahead of its time, and it was doing what Harry Potter/Hunger Games are doing now, but 30 years ago.

I hope they don't f**k it up. Ben Kingsley, Harrison Ford? That makes me (cautiously) optimistic. I want to see a 400 lb Harrison Ford sweating and yelling and balding at the end of the movie. The kid actors look okay, but I hope they use some kind of CG to make them look younger when they need to be.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Ender's Game
I read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead but fell out somewhere in the middle of Xenocide. At some point, it started reading like a Socratic dialog, and I got bored. I really liked the first two. Never read any of the Shadow books though.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm
Profile WWW

:shifty:

I've never read any of them. They're in the queue of other books I need to read.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm with Chunk. Read the first two but couldn't really get into the third. I loved Ender's Game, but Speaker for the Dead was such a weird change in tone for me that I wasn't really sure I wanted to keep reading the rest of the series. I'd love to see a well made movie based on the first book though.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

chunkstyle wrote:
I read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead but fell out somewhere in the middle of Xenocide. At some point, it started reading like a Socratic dialog, and I got bored. I really liked the first two. Never read any of the Shadow books though.

Yeah, Xenocide and Children of the Mind get a little too philosophical and are frankly way too long, but there are some neat ideas and plot points in there.

Ender's Shadow is a great read, because it's basically Ender's Game, but told entirely from Bean's point of view. It does take the wind out of Ender's Messiah-ness somewhat by overly-explaining some things.

The rest of the Shadow series is neat if you like geopolitical intrigue (and can buy the plausibility of 12-year-olds being warlords), but Card's Mormonism (e.g., everyone who isn't making millions of babies is wasting their lives) shines through at times. I had to roll my eyes quite a bit.

@Carl: read Ender's game as soon as you can, it's a fun read and not very long. The rest of the series is kind of out there, so don't feel like you're committing to a whole series. EG stands out on its own and is a self contained story. Speaker for the Dead is the first sequel but takes place thousands of years later. The shadow books are more of a parallel story from a different characters point of view.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:54 pm
Profile WWW

DuckofDoom wrote:
I'm with Chunk. Read the first two but couldn't really get into the third. I loved Ender's Game, but Speaker for the Dead was such a weird change in tone for me that I wasn't really sure I wanted to keep reading the rest of the series. I'd love to see a well made movie based on the first book though.

Fun fact. Orson Scott Card wanted to write Speaker for the Dead first, and he needed some background for the main character, so he had to flesh out some short story he wrote called "Ender's Game" and turn it into a novel. It basically serves as a sort of "prologue" for Speaker for the Dead.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm
Profile WWW

Ok, no, wait. I finished Xenocide, then stopped a couple of chapters into Children of the Mind.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm
Profile WWW

So read enough to realize that Catholocism is a cult and takes over the Universe

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile WWW

Doombot wrote:
@Carl: read Ender's game as soon as you can, it's a fun read and not very long. The rest of the series is kind of out there, so don't feel like you're committing to a whole series. EG stands out on its own and is a self contained story. Speaker for the Dead is the first sequel but takes place thousands of years later. The shadow books are more of a parallel story from a different characters point of view.

Oh I plan too. Right now I still have to finish Sniper's book, as well as the last three Harry Potters. Then it's off to the last two Song of Ice and Fire books. THEN Ender's Game.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I really liked Ender's Game the one time I read it. Ender's Shadow less so. Definitely interested in a film adaptation.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I have a copy sitting on my bookshelf, but I am going to get through Neuromancer and a Michio Kaku book first.

|Twitter|

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Bry-Master-3k wrote:
Neuromancer

Such a good read. I've been meaning to crack out Mona Lisa Overdrive for a re-read too.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:45 am
Profile ICQ
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I'm not sure if I really liked it myself, but it's been years. That said I'm also super interested in Neuoromancer, sounds like it influenced so much stuff it's crazy.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:40 am
Profile WWW