Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next
 The Movie Review Thread 
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Post Re: The Movie Review Thread
:lol:

I need to watch more Ancient... Aliens.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Xeogred wrote:
Yep. Check out the link I posted above. Some of it is cool, and some of it is laughable. I'm not sold on the black slime of evilness, and the running straight thing... was just dumb.

Hm. Well, that is interesting... it at least clears up some things possibly. Here's an excerpt from that page that sums up his whole point: (major spoilers) "On the face of it, it seems absurd to suggest that the genesis of the Alien xenomorph ultimately lies in the grotesque human act of crucifying the Space Jockeys' emissary to Israel in four B.C., but that's what Ridley Scott proposes. It seems equally insane to propose that Prometheus is fundamentally about the clash between acceptance of death as a condition of creating/sustaining life versus clinging on to life at the expense of others, but the repeated, insistent use of motifs and themes bears this out."

Although, I just want to point out that Christ's crucifixion actually took place in about 33 A.D., not 4 B.C. But, that's just nitpicking. And now it makes more sense why the engineer would just immediately kill everyone.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

The whole Space Jesus thing there is kind of funny, but I like that sort of thing when told well. It would also further explain that, the Engineers created humans "in their own image", so the Engineers looking humanoid makes even more sense to me with that said. And then it's funny to see how humans did the same thing with androids, creating them in their own image.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

Listen if I'm going to even begin to accept space Jesus theory, I would need the film to ACTUALLY BRING IT UP. Guess what Ridley, saying s**t in an interview doesn't allow you to forget about actually including ideas in the film. That is bulls**t.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 am
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

I like the idea of there being multiple engineer ships and multiple engineer installations and multiple versions of the bio-weapon creatures because then we get all kinds of variants of familiar aliens like that giant-ass god of facehuggers and the pointy-headed smooth-backed quick-growing fella at the end. And the worms. Can't forget them. But I definitely wouldn't try drawing any lines from the alien stuff on Prometheus' LV-223 to the alien stuff of the other movies' LV-426.

Also, what danimal said because I don't believe a movie is supposed to have an appendix that nobody can find.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Re: Prometheus: (as it says in the comic, mild spoilers) http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/06/13

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Prometheus was SO PRETTY. It's so grey and black and gooey and detailed. So pretty. Pretty movie. There are lots of glowing green things to highlight other neat things. I really enjoyed looking at this movie. Details. Visuals. Pretty pretty. Lots of things to look at in this movie!! Artwork and pretty stuff!

Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

Did anyone else notice that on David's HUD the coordinates when he reaches the death room of thousands of urns reads 60-60-60?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 pm
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

I almost cried watching The Dark Knight Rises today because I was SO PUMPED watching it. Not even like sad or happy or reacting to anything specific! It was like just a crazy generalized internal EXCESS.

When Batman Begins came out, I think the whole world must've felt like it was just slapped in the face by the movie's bar-raising excellence. It was fun, serious, bizarre, sophisticated, faithful to decades of source material and yet totally original and did it all with an integrity that elevated the "superhero genre" and, hopefully, audience expectations. And then The Dark Knight made its predecessor look like a Golden Book. Well, let me tell you that The Dark Knight Rises is to The Dark Knight as The Dark Knight is to Batman Begins. SEE IT. GO. GO RIGHT NOW.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Grand is right, TDKR is amazing. See it!

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 am

I just spoke with an ex for over an hour about all the problems with TDKR and in doing so I think i articulated why I liked this movie. Nolan has never made a good Batman movie, but he did make a pretty great Catwoman movie.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

TDKR won me over. I started out kind of "meh" about the whole thing, but by the end I was very glad to have been taken on such a ride. Nice couple of twists at the end. I think there were some plot holes and while I still think Heath Ledger's Joker will forever be impossible to top in the Universe of batman movies.

But damn, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman are so captivating, I'd watch a whole movie of those guys just talking to the camera.

And: how amazing would it be to see Joseph Gordon Levitt as Robin/Nightwing?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

See, I have to judge a movie on what it is, not what it isn't. It bothers me that in these Nolan Batmans, Batman isn't The World's Greatest Detective. It bothers me that Batman can't invent a gadget to save his life. It bothers me that the villains always f**k him up for the first four fifths of the movie. It bothers me that this Bruce Wayne is sorta, I dunno, perky in a way.

However, if I drop the unfair nerd-baggage (and it is unfair) and watch these with a fresh, clean, batless slate, holy hell are these rad. They're blazing along with EVERY STAT MAXED OUT. The pacing is ridiculous, the acting is a treat that I feel like no audience even deserves, the drama feels overblown yet real at the same time (possibly due to traces of topical subject matter sprinkled on top), the production design and costumes are spot on to support the kind of stories they're telling, and they're long enough to give everything time to work properly. As far as I'm concerned, the right people are working the right kind of magic on these. The studio reportedly pushed for the Riddler to be the villain in TDKR because they thought he was a similar character to the Joker and the Joker was awesome right so why not? Because trust the artist is why not. As for plot holes, I ain't stressing because real life has plot holes. So long as they don't rip me out of the experience, I'm forgiving.

Anyhow, loved it. Made me dizzy.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

I went for a Bane movie and got a Catwoman movie. Things turned out just fine.

EDIT: I should have said I went for a Hardy movie and got a Hathaway movie. Also just fine.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 pm
Profile WWW

I had the exact same experience. I guess it turns out when you take even one of the greatest working actors and hide 90% of his face his performance can suffer. He basically had to act with just his eyes in that movie.

But oh that Hathaway. Mercy.

JGL was rock-solid as well, as per usual.

Christopher Nolan has many talents, and one of them is casting. He also gets great performances. He just also has many faults and this movie suffered as much as any from them. But I did enjoy it, it was BIG and I have no interest in nitpicking it publicly or trying to convince you, Grand, or anyone not to love it the most.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 am
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

Who needs convincing? We're all just reviewing here like the topic says, no? It's all good. You good?
:dizzy:

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:12 am
Profile WWW

All good in the e-hood.

All I meant by that was that many reviews seem hell-bent on trying to make other people see things as the reviewer sees things and I don't have any interest in that.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

I saw it with one person in particular that loved it more than any movie in the history of humanity, so I just shut up. :) I had my qualms, but it's f**king Batman. s**t got f**ked up. Good enough for me.

I remember one particular conversation in between Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt, and all I could think was "this is the future of cinema - right here. These kids." It felt really good. Some of these young blokes are such the bomb.

I heard 3/4 of this was actually filmed in IMAX. I'd see it again for that, well maybe not.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Prophet wrote:
But oh that Hathaway. Mercy.

Indeed.

I enjoyed TDKR. Had some small complaints but they were more than made up for by the rest of the movie. By the end of the it I wanted to fly around town fighting crime in a giant flying tank while screaming in that ungodly voice that Bale does.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:15 am
Profile WWW

Stemage wrote:
I remember one particular conversation in between Hathaway and Gordon-Levitt, and all I could think was "this is the future of cinema - right here. These kids." It felt really good. Some of these young blokes are such the bomb.

I think that a lot. A lot of these talented actors that are our age are going to be around for a long, long time. We'll get to be 60 years old and talk about the time we used to watch JGL play some alien in a kid's body in some show in the 1990s.

That, and we'll laugh when some old and now fat and bald JGL is on the 2040 equivalent of "Match Game".

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW

The Dark Knight Rises was incredible. There are plotholes and mcguffins and all the weaknesses of a super hero story. However, it did an okay job of explaining without over the top exposition. An amazing job of showing and not telling. There was enough information to think and deduce and try to work my head around the plot and figure just enough out to be extra surprised when the time came.

The symbolism was incredibly rich if one was to look for it.

I feel like I have so much more to say, but I'll sum up by mentioning that it's my favorite super hero movie of all time.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 pm
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

I've always loved the Nolan Batmans, and this was my favorite. I've also always been a Marvel fan, so I took these movies at face value, and I think that allowed me to enjoy it more. I agree that the casting and acting is the best part of these movies.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:44 am
The Certile Frescent
The Certile Frescent

I think I loved the ending so much because he was able to do both a tragedy ending AND a happy ending. Tug at ALL the heart strings.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:15 am

I f**king loved TDKR. I love Nolan's more realistic take on Batman. So many awesome emotions brought out in this movie. Micheal Cain actually brought a tear to my eye on two separate occasions... no, make that three. I love the little hints at the different comic story lines that Nolan drew from sprinkled throughout the movie. Mostly though, I just love that it managed to tie all the movies together in a way that I never could have imagined when I first saw Batman Begins. I just happy to live in a time when people are finally getting these super hero movies right. Sure, we still get a Ghost Rider every so often. But, for every shitty movie there's an Avengers or a Dark Knight Rises or even a Captain America around the corner to make me feel better about it all.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
\m/ Sponsor \m/
\m/ Sponsor \m/

Necro review. So as I said, I finished and loved Firefly. So, naturally I watched Serenity. Here are my spoiler-laden thoughts (seriously, huge spoilers):

Opinion! (Which, holy s**t, is that word related to opine? I just made that realization!!!) Well, it didn't really feel a whole lot like Firefly. A couple reasons I think why: it wasn't as funny, and it wasn't as westerny. No horses in the whole movie! And, if this is Mass Effect, Mal definitely went with a lot more renegade interrupts this time around. Also, I did watch Serenity a long time ago, and luckily I didn't remember a single thing about it. Seriously, that was lucky. I was shocked when Wash died near the end, which made me really really sad. For some reason I felt that Shepard Book was going to die... so that wasn't too surprising, but still sad. All I remembered was River being all ninja like, and when I started Firefly I was like "that doesn't make sense". She really turned the ninja up to 11 in this.

But I think the reason why I waited so long to start Firefly is because I didn't like Serenity that much when I first saw it. The characters didn't endear themselves to me, and I wasn't pulled into the story. That's because the movie really only works as an expansion pack to Firefly. Not to say the movie was bad, of course. It was just different from the show. Like "watch these characters you've come to know and love go through some heavy s**t without much character development." It really only works in the context of the show, and even after having just finished the show, the movie feels a bit too removed from that universe. Almost like the same actors doing a gritty reboot that is extremely similar to the original and for some reason makes frequent allusions to the original. Not to say the show wasn't dark at times, but somehow it managed to balance the humor and tragedy perfectly, and the movie was just too heavy, both in tone and action. Like if Serenity was one half of a super long episode of Firefly it would be great. Also, the full weight of what they were doing didn't really come to light until it's revealed that the Alliance created the reavers near the end, up until that point I was a little confused why they wanted to get to Miranda that badly, especially since they didn't find that out until they got there. Unless I missed the foreshadowing... I probably did...

And somehow it was both grittier and more polished than Firefly at the same time. Like, more blood and dirt, but yet somehow an invisible hairstylist joined Mal's crew in the intervening years.

Well, that's enough ramblings from Firefly's newest fanboy. Take that how you will. I know I'm 10 years late to the party.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:14 am
\m/ Sponsore \m/
\m/ Sponsore \m/

PIERCE GAGNON WTF

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:25 pm
Profile WWW

Forgot to mention, saw Paranorman a few weeks back. Cute movie, definitely liked it a ton. Part 6th Sence, part zombie flick, part old-school horror film. Throw in some Salem Witch Trial stuff.

Lets make like a dick and wrap it up.
The irony.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Hey, guys.

I don't mean to ruin anybodies day, but it turns out that Diabo Cody's name is in the new Evil Dead movie.

So, that's a thing.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:01 am
Profile YIM

There's also a new Carrie movie.

So that's a thing.

I think they should remake Casablanca with the cast of Twilight, but leave out the "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow" scene and just have everyone party at a LMFAO show.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

Kevin Spacey could have a cameo where he says "Round up the Usual Suspects!" as he winks to the camera and then limps away.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next